Netgear DM602 problem

Guest sycodelic

Guest sycodelic

Hi people ive stumbled across this forum and looks very helpfull i have recently installed madrake 10.1 and so far been unable to connect to the net i had a bt voyager which i had loads of probs and found somewhere that its easier to install a modem using the ethernet port so i went out and bought a Netgear DM602 which uses USB or Ethernet went and used the ethernet but still cant work out how to get it working if any1 could help it would be wonderfull trying to get away from this windowsand go with linux but i cant just yet untill i get the net working on it...

Hope someone can clue me in...

thanks in advance :D

Physical connections: phone socket > adsl filter > netgear router > ethernet socket. (previous modem installed in rubbish bin)

First, take your Mandrake firewall down (in the Mandrake control centre).

Remove all installed connections (also in the MCC).

Log on to your router and fill in all your login info, including getting DNS servers automatically. Check that you want to router to act as a DHCP server. Logout (it'll restart). See if your lights are working properly on the router. Give it a minute to connect and send login info.

Back in the MCC, add a new connection - eth0, DHCP, you shouldn't need any other information. Check that it'll start on boot. When you finish the wizard, it should bring the connection up.

If this doesn't work, come back :)

Guest sycodelic

well i tried that but when i goto try and logon to my router i put password in and username and just asks me for it again i tried restoring to default password and username but this does not help :S

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Revolution

I too have a Netgear DM602.

It came without Install CD (ebay purchase) and therefore I'm trying to access the USB setup utility.

I found and downloaded software from netgear.com.au which allows me to monitor the modem but little else. For some reason the modems DHCP sets my IP 169.254.whatever instead of the normal 192.168.0.x

This of course means I cant access the inbuilt browser config software in the modem.

If I set my linux ethernet to fixed IP and no DHCP (192.168.0.2) I still cant access the setup login even!

Anyone can supply USB config software for this modem?

Thanks

Robert.