GnomeMeeting Jerky Video - Can You Help?

mac57

I am having a GnomeMeeting problem that I wonder if anyone else is having? I am running Mandrake 10.1 CE, and the standard GnomeMeeting version that came with it. The problem I am having is that the video is jerky. Audio is wonderful, but video is quite jerky. It looks like it is sending about 1 frame per second at best, despite me having all the usual GnomeMeeting "video codec" settings set to request 8 fps. It is not an issue with my internet link, or with the parties I call - I can get beautifully smooth video with the sames callers by simply switching to my other computer which runs Yoper 2.1.

Has anyone out there experienced jerky video with GnomeMeeting, and perhaps has some suggestions for how to improve this?

Thanks.

First things I would check are video card and camera (if you're using a cam also)...does the party on the other end get kjerky video from you?

Video card is most likely the culprit. Check to be sure that glx is enabled with glxinfo and run glxgears and see if you get decent fps. Do you have problems with other video apps like mplayer or gxine or totem?

Maybe boot with a Knoppix CD on the same computer and try it, too. You still may get choppy video because of running in RAM and off the CD, but if the quality is the same or better in Knoppix, it's probably just a configuration issue with your video card.

Hi, thanks for the reply. :oops: You make me realize that I wasn't very clear in stating my problem. My received video is great, it is the transmitted video that is the problem. The other end complains about jerky video. If I open the local video window in Gnomemeeting, I can see what they are complaining about. It is not a problem at their end. If I call them from my other computer, running either Yoper 2.1 or its SuSE 9.0 dual boot, they receive excellent video.

I am speculating that maybe there is some sort of packet prioritization stuff in the MDK kernel that isn't quite right in Mandrake 10.1 CE perhaps, or maybe something else. I am kind of hoping that someone else has run into this already and knows what to do!

Thanks!

You may want to upgrade to 10.1 Official, CE had quite a number of bugs that were corrected with Official. Remember CE was nothing more that a Final TesT version to find and work out the last few remaining bugs. either way good luck with our problem i'm sure someone will have an answer for you sooner or later :)

-ShadowChaser