a general note to users of suselinuxsupport

Guest kastorff

Guest kastorff

Members of SuSE Linux Forums,

Over the last few months, we've become more and more concerned about the erratic behavior of one of our cherished members, and one of the co-founders of the board, Vir@s. As the board membership grew, and the community became more diverse, some change became inevitable, as the staff grew and the responsibility of running such a vibrant community became heavier.

Recently, the staff has been divided in opinions over several issues, frequently with Vir@s on one side, and everyone else on the other. While this in itself is not of much concern, and with changing issues would most likely change, Vir@s' reaction to these disagreements has been extreme, emotional, and frankly, scary.

Of note, and the reason for this change, is his threat to shut down the forums by shutting down the server, and I quote from a post in the staff forums this week.

----begin quote----

post Jan 31 2005, 04:56 PM

IP: 80.108.185.239 | Post #21|

Code Monkey

Group Icon

Group: Banned

Member No.: 1

You know what guys? You really suck - I'm out of here and so is the server. Good bye.

----end quote----

The following morning the servers were down for several hours and we were unable to communicate with Vir@s. We don't know for sure, but we think Vir@s was demonstrating his power, as he is the only person will full access to the server. Even allowing for the possibility this was a coincidence, the event has us worried, very worried, that in his current mental state Vir@s might do something to damage the community. The community is bigger than any one of us, and we believe should not exist at the whim of one person.

Therefore the rest of the Admin team has decided to move the server to a new host, to protect this community and the contribution it makes to the Linux community as a whole.

Beginning immediately, please redirect your browsers to:

www.suseforums.net to access the forums, which for a short time we will call SuSE Forums (New Version).

We fully expect Vir@s to object, and he may keep an instance of the forums up at his domain in protest, but each of you has to ask yourself if you want to be part of a community that values everyone's opinion and isn't controlled by one person, or a community that is controlled by one person who calls himself a dictator?

----begin quote----

Vir@s

post Today, 04:28 PM

Post #48

Code Monkey

Group Icon

Group: Super Admins

I already admited I'm a dictator. I mean you don't have to bring that up again.

----end quote----

Each of us must decide what type of community we want.

Sincerely,

kastorff

Shadow

69_rs_ss

Storm

Guest kastorff

Just trying to reach out to people who have visited our forums in the past. A lot of Mandrake and SuSE users frequent both places. We sent the same communication everywhere to speed up the process. Please accept my apologies if I offended you.

Edited by kastorff