Slow startup in Mandrake 10.1 with custom kernel

Guest sandeepkhanna

Guest sandeepkhanna

Hi,

I am using a custom compiled 2.6.10 kernel with Mandrake 10.1. I observed that whenever I am using my own custom compiled kernel, I see a very slow startup. But, when I boot using Mandrake's kernel, the startup is relatively fast.

Upon weeks of observation and research, I narrowed down to 3 biggest bottlenecks in the startup.

1. During startup, after the system prints message "Entering non-interactive startup", the system waits for around 10-15 seconds before it prints out "Start udev". There is something more that the Mandrake kernel does which causes the "Start udev" to print much quicker/earlier than when using custom kernel.

2. During startup, If the ethernet cable is not plugged in, it times out quickly. But, if the wireless PCMCIA card is plugged in but unable to get signal, it takes a long time to timeout.

3. During startup, system prints out "Starting ALSA" and pauses for 3-5 seconds before printing out "Loading xxxx module" (loading card-specific ALSA module)

Does anyone have similar issues? Does anyone have any suggestions on these?

Thanks,

Sandeep Khanna

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

• 1 month later...
Guest lemvigh

Did you find a solution to your problem? I'm having the same problem, and that's with a system installed from the official iso's. No custom kernel compiling...