dvd+rw media and growisofs and mkisofs

mandrake_alf

:help: Ok.. I'm using Kdar (a frontend to dar) to do my backups. It lets me 'split' the backup into cd/dvd sized slices so they can be copied to removable media. This works fine (even wonderful) with CDRW disks and even with DVDRW disks UNTIL the size of the slice exceeds 2gb. I know the file size isn't a problem for linux (dar creates 4+gb files easily) but I can't seem to overcome the issue with mkisofs, which complains IMMEDIATELY about the file size or with growisofs which happily 'appears' to put the file onto the disk but when it is done, the original 3.3GB file is a corrupted 586MB file on the DVD disk.

The author of mkisofs claims there are issues with the 2.6.# linux kernel and since I'm using mdk 10.0 and a 2.6 kernel, then I'm guessing this may be the problem. He suggest that if users have problems with the software then they should go BACK to a 2.4.x kernel... something I'm NOT gona do!!

Can anyone verify that (kernel 2.6 problem) for me, or maybe point me in the direction of some sort of resolution? As it stands now, I'm looking at changing my dvd script code to write 2 2GB files to the DVD with the multisession switch of growisofs. :thanks:

btw: i even obtained and compiled latest version of cdrtools. it didn't solve the problem. also updated dvd+rw package but still have same problem.

NOTE: growisofs 'uses mkisofs' to write data to the DVD+RW media so the problem

(in my mind) is totally with the cdrtools package, in particular the mkisofs application unless someone else has discovered otherwise.. :cheeky:

TIA

Mike

Houston,Tx