Changing The Default DVD App

foot

Hiya

Complete newb to Linux (well by a coupla days) but I've come across an annoying problem with playing DVDs - they won't seem to autoplay when the DVD is put in (though I can get them to play within Xine or whatever). They did do so with Kafeinne but I uninstalled that and now nothing happens when I put a DVD in :( Anyone know how to change the default DVD app?

Also, I've been updating all me stuff via the Many control centre, but I've got stuck with one file - ldetect-lst-0.1.23-1.1.101mdk.i586 - apparently I have an 'unsatisfied' /usr/sbin/update-ldetect-lst , which is news to me. I asked the hard drive loudly about what it was feeling so unsatisfied about, but it just whirred back at me. Any ideas. Google doesn't seem to want to help :angry:

Muchos Thankos

Foot.

How to do it varies slightly, depending on whether you're using the gnome or kde desktop. Anyway, from the 'Applications' menu, choose 'system'. Then choose 'configuration'. You have to eventually find 'configure your desktop'. In the gnome desktop, after 'configuration', I have to choose 'gnome', then 'gnome control center'. After that, there is 'Advanced'. Next (and lastly), you choose 'file types and programs'. From there you can choose which application to apply to your dvd player.

Kieth

I'm using KDE though I found the bugger eventually - Kmenu-System-Configuration-Hardware-CD Properties...then just changed the pointer to the shell script to a pointer to Xine ('/usr/bin/xine -pd' to be exactly - it just pops up without the pd bit). probably not the best way to do it..but, it works! :unsure:

Don't suppose anyone knows how to change it so that the desktop label for the CD drives are something a bit more helpful than 'CD-ROM (hdc) [/mnt/cdrom]' like a disc label or just given name 'CD 1' or something??

Edited by foot