problem with DVD+CD-RW combo

Guest rudyanto

Guest rudyanto

i have this samsung DVD+CD-RW combo drive. it used to play DVDs & CDs alright; and when i pop in a music CD, cdplay would start playing the songs.

recently though, it stopped recognizing normal CDs: legally bought music CDs, bootlegs, or data CDs. the error message upon `mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom` is: Wrong medium type. Trying mount with -t iso9660 or -t udf doesn't help. it could still read DVDs fine.

In /var/log/message, i see the error message saying:

kernel: cdrom: pid 4556 must open device O_NONBLOCK!

what's peculiar is that, i can still run grip and copy some tracks from the music CD as .ogg to the harddisk...

i'm on mandrake-10; nothing changed from the earlier setup. can anyone help me, point out where i should begin troubleshooting?

Guest rudyanto
IF you haven't changed anything and still cannot read regular cd, maybe it's because the lens is dirty?

then it doesn't explain how grip is able to read and rip the CD...

perhaps it's just a mount problem. i'll try to see whether i can access the data from another program.

I am not certain but don't the DVD-CD combos have two lasers and therefore two lenses because the lasers for the DVD are different to the ones used for CDs??? (different colour frequencies)

If that is the case then DragonMages' suggestion would still be a valid diagnosis.

Try using a CD lens cleaner disk which is reasonbly effective if properly used as directed.

If that fixes the problem then that is great but if not, then you are no worse off.

Cheers. John.

Guest rudyanto

Hi John,

Ahh.. what mystery is the combo drive :)

I put the CD lens cleaner disk, but it won't run. grip could read the lens cleaner, and i could play the required tracks; but it didn't look like it helped. i mean, it used the CD laser, not the dvd laser, right?

what's still a mystery is why certain programs like grip can mount and read a CD, while others, like nautilus can't.

thanks for the illumination; now i'm trying to trace what grip does with strace..

rina