Request for Genius webcam nb300 driver

coolmaniac

Hello all,

I have moved to LInux completely and am using mandrake 10.1

I have a genius nb300 webcam . I cant use my webcam as i dont have any driver available.. I tried gnome meeting but it seems that gnome meeting supports limited number of drivers.

can anyone tell me how to use my webcam in linux ???

I hate to install windows just to use my webcam :angry:

Thanks in advance.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Gnomemeeting, and most other webcam programs for Linux don't use drivers directly. They access the cam through the video4linux interface. You need to load that interface in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Make sure you have a line that says Load "v4l" in the "Module" section.

I did a quick search on Google to see what chipset your webcam uses, and came up with nothing. Identifying the chipset is always the first step in finding out if there is Linux driver support for your hardware. Most cams that have Linux support already have a driver compiled into the kernel.

Hello,

I have checked my xorg.conf file , and it the line "Load "v4l" is already there

i found some page ........about my webcam here.... http://spca50x.sourceforge.net/spca50x.php

do i need to make my own driver , or there are already some driver for genius webcam nb300?

I don't see your cam listed in the hardware list for that driver, but I'll take you at your word that this is the right driver. Yes, you need to build the driver. The instructions for doing so are included with the source code. Basically, you'll have to install the kernel-sources-2.6 package, download the experimental version of the driver, compile it according to the instructions, and load the driver.