Postfix mail forwarding

Tymestream

I am trying to get postfix to forward my root email to an outside pop3 account and it does not seem to be working. I have placed the .forward file in root's home (/root) and added the email address that I want it sent to (someone@somewhere.com) and then chmod 0600 the .forward file, but still all system mail (including other local users mail) is being sent to postfix@mymachinename.com...I am stumped.

No net resources I located could help me on this one.

As usual, thanks in advance. :D

Postfix by default sends all root and internal mail to its own postfix mail box (weird eh?)

Another way to change this is If you have webmin installed. You can just find the user accounts, click on the root account and alter it from postfix to you@whatever.com

Thanks Dyslexic, I think the procmail file is better than the .forward file and will consider this.

Anon, I do have webmin installed and understand what you mean but I cannot seem to find where I would change that setting you mentioned. Is it under servers>postfix config or under system>users? I use webmin quite a bit...but there are so many options. Appriciate clarification.

Cheers

:beer:

Follow-up

Sort of answered my own question - I was able to alias postfix and root to the email address that I wanted. (If previous msg was regarding alaises - please disregard my last question)

Anyway - just to make things interesting - one more question.

I trying access this new local mail account through kmail and I keep getting the error "could not lock /var/spool/mail/user" and I do not understand why?

I know this may seem a little convoluted, please bear with me. Thanks.