BIOS clock freezes

Guest benkunz

Guest benkunz

Hi,

I have mandrake 10.1 and XP on my laptop. When I try to turn off my laptop from XP everything 's fine.

but I try to turn it off from linux, I have to push on power until it shuts down. It won't shut down if I just click "shutdown". The fact that I have to force it to shut down is not a big deal for me. The problem is that the BIOS clock freezes at the time where I forced it to shutdown. So each time I start the computer I have to reset the BIOS clock. Anoying!!!

Which brand / model is yout laptop? Check which kernel you are using, and what power options are configured for this kernel. I had exactly same problem with shutdown when I was using the enterprise kernel (Mandrake installer's choice). Since I switched to a standard kernel, shutdown works fine.

My laptop is a IBM t42p.

how do switch to standard kernel?

I knew it's got to be Thinkpad :D. Anyway, type uname -r to see which kernel you are using. For a standard kernel, the output would be 2.X.X-XX.mdk, if you are using an enterprise kernel, the word enterprise will be shown in that string as well, etc.

It's been a while since I did that but if I am not mistaken, both the standard and enterprise kernels were tinstalled, with the enterprise kernel being marked as the default one (don't ask why - MDK used to do that for machines with 1Gb memory). So, the first thing is to check whether you have this kernel installed. You might find it as an option in the bootloader prompt, or if it's not there, simly look in /boot, the kernel you are looking for is vmlinuz-2.x.x-xxmdk. If it's there, then skip the next paragraph. If it's not there you will have to install this kernel.

There exists quite a few tutorials on how to install/update the kernel. You can easily find a few on this forum. There used to be one on the Mandrake site. Before you start, a good idea is to backup /etc/lilo.conf (I use lilo as a boot loader) i. After that, install the new kernel using urpmi. As root, run:

# urpmi kernel-2.x.x-xx
# urpmi kernel-2.x.x-xx-source

You may want to check the CD/update source for an exact version/name of the kernel and the kernel source (My suggestion would be always install the matching source alongside the kernel). Urpmi will install everything and will edit /etc/lilo.conf to use the new kernel, but the old one will still be there as well. In any case, inspect /boot and find the new kernel there.

Now it's a good idea to inspect and edit /etc/lilo.conf to make sure that you are using the same kernel options (acpi=on/off, etc.). Do not forget to run lilo -v every time you change /etc/lilo.conf..

Have you run lilo -v? Reboot. Both the new and old kernels should be there, choose whichever kernel you want, and boot into the new kernel.

For me, that was the solution to the shutdown/poweroff problem.