can't install updates [solved]

polemicz

I tried to install new updates from Mandrake (10.1) and could not because it said libtiff.so.3 was needed by some packages. However, libtiff.so.3 sits in /usr/lib as a link to libtiff.so.3.6.1 also right there in /usr/lib. Can someone tell me what goes here. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately Ihad tried urpmi.update -a and I do have main and contrib sources. What I did find that seems odd is that in var/cache/urpmi/rpms is, among the uninstalled packages libtiff3-3.6.1-4.3.101mdk, libtiff-progs-3.6.1-4.3.101mdk and wkGTK2.5-2.5.1-5.3.101mdk all dated 12/29/04, obviously from a previous update. It seems to me that they should not be in var/cache/urpmi/rpms as they have been installed.

What I wonder is whether I should force an installation of the packages or do a "fake" install of the libtiff packages that are already installed.

Guest micro420

Perhaps try changing your URPMI sources. I found that some of the URPMI sources are either out of date, or don't have certain packages as others. Other than that, I have no clue as to why you are not able to update.

Having multiple instances of the same RPM has caused me some trouble in the passed. It is intermittant though - sometimes urpmi does not care and, if in doubt, asks me which version I want to install. Other times it says that the packages do not excist when I know there are two or more (of the program I typed in) available.

Problem exists with whatever sources I use. What is confounding is that if I try to install the libtiff3 package I'm told it's already installed. It is there and functioning, but rpm and urpmi don't sem to have any idea. I can even go to MCC and to remove software and it is there. So right now I'm in limbo not being able to update a number of packages.