need help with wireless network software and 10.1

dnoyc

i finally got my pro wireless 2100 to work on my mandrake 10.1 install, but i have some questions i'd like some help with. is there a way to make it start up atuomatically? right now i have to typw "# modprobe ipw2100" everytime i boot up the computer

second, how do i select which network i connect to? i have two access points that have different wep keys. is there a way to have the wep keys saved and switch easily between the access points?

i basically don't really know how to use the iwconfig and the rest of the iw tools so i'm looking for some help on that.

thanks in advance.

Guest Exothermia

i had to do the same thing, and i also encountered a similar problem with my wireless card stopping functioning. here's what i did.

1. create a file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts called ifcfg-wlan0

2. in it, type whatever it is you typed to make your card start up. (modprobe, etc.)

3. make sure after that you type a line reading " ONBOOT=yes "

4. make sure you type a line reading " DEVICE=wlan0 " (wlan0 is the default, if yours is different change it)

it will do whatever you told it to do every time it boots up. if it locks up when you boot up after that, then there is some sort of problem. do an interactive startup (hit esc then i during startup) and disable it then fix the problem. in regard to your other problem, i found that the reason mine stopped working was due to a USB firmware issue and the fix for me was to disconnect the unit from my computer and then plug it back in after i had gotten to my desktop, then wait a few seconds and connect to the appropriate network. (i had to do the same thing on windows as well).

Edited by Exothermia