best partition setup

tyme

Your layout is perfect (except that I'd put www and backup into /var -- e.g. /var/www and /var/backup)

The reason for having the backup on the second drive is in case the first one crashes, or vice-versa. I just has this happen to me and it is not fun.

This setup would allow you to mirror important data on two drives in case one goes down. You lose your install, but at least all your critical files are nice and safe on the second drive.

I think you misunderstood me :D

I meant that, IMHO, the 'correct' place to put a backup partition is under the /var tree, in fact I have my backup partition in a different disk, but mounted at /var/backup/ while /var itself is another parition ;)

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

I think you misunderstood me  :D 

I meant that, IMHO, the 'correct' place to put a backup partition is under the /var tree, in fact I have my backup partition in a different disk, but mounted at /var/backup/ while /var itself is another parition ;) 

Filesystem Hierarchy Standard

I did. I took you to mean that you would be putting /backup as just a directory under the /var partition and not as a separate partition.

Thanks for the link. I look forward to reading that. I have always wondered about exactly how a proper *NIX drive should be partitioned and what each section is intended for.

But if you can, maybe you can play around with schemes that involve using 2 hard drives at the same time such as having swap on the second drive or splitting up the frequently used system partitions (vs data partitions).

so i'm thinking...20gig HD, mostly /home parition and then my swap partition, and split up the 40 for the others...i'm not well acquianted with the setup, so i'm not sure what to consider data vs. system. going to check out the link aru put up and see if that helps me any.

thanks for all the info guys! hopefully by sunday evening my system will be windows free! (assuming I don't get all i-need-my-games like and decide to keep windows "just in case"....hehe)