Software not starting/freezing

solarian

What I've noticed is that after doing updates (I haven't located the exact update, but this happens the 2nd time) Mandrake won't start the mentioned apps. If I want to start them with konsole, I get no error output. They seem to be starting, but don't start. Kedit opens, but freezes when I want to save, Kuickshow won't scroll onto new images and freezes. Kwrite shows it is starting, but doesn't start, same with Konqueror, but if I try to start Konqueror through a terminal then at least I get some output

[avatar@localhost]$ konqueror
konqueror: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed to the constructor!

when I try to run it as root, I get this

[root@localhost]# konqueror
Link points to "/tmp/ksocket-root"
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used
Link points to "/tmp/kde-root"

What I will do now is reinstall MDK for the 3rd time in a row and won't isntall any updates up until the next version of MDK is released or try another distro for the time being, because this is really annoying.

The problem solves itself after a restart, but then again after a few days or a day it shows itself.

Almost brings memories of Windows (aghr!)

Anyone else has this glitch, knows what can be wrong, can help me?

:wall:

I know how you feel. I did the same thing except I have only checked Konqueror. It very annoying. Konqueror works while I'm logged in as root. I tried uninstalling Konqueror, but when I did a search for packages related to it, there were none found. Since it works while logged in as root, maybe I'll try creating another user profile and see if it works under the new profile. You might wanna try the same.

:wall:

I know how you feel. I did the same thing except I have only checked Konqueror. It very annoying. Konqueror works while I'm logged in as root. I tried uninstalling Konqueror, but when I did a search for packages related to it,  there were none found. Since it works while logged in as root, maybe I'll try creating another user profile and see if it works under the new profile. You might wanna try the same.

I created a new profile and that fixed everything. although it doesn't islolate what the problem really was, it got konqueror running again and I can browse my files.

Edited by dubbrich