software

Guest irab

I have a spare machine that I use to experiment with different distros. It is a 500 mhz processor, 256mb ram and 2 drives. The master is 20 g and slave is 160g. I am using another machine with FC3 on it. Seems to work fairly well.

I noticed there was a partial answer to this same question to Viper_Maniac but I didn't quite under stand the answer.

I have just installed mandrake 10.0. In trying to get on the internet, I noticed there was no kppp available. I went to the control center,found what I needed, marked it for install. After I clicked install it came up with a message that I need to insert cdrom (x86) in /dev/hdd or something to that

effect. I am trying to duplicate the situation in order to give the exact message.

It's almost as if the control center is looking on the hard drive for the rpms. Is there any way around this. This is just fun for me and I will try to re-install Mandrake if necessary. However I would like to understand the problem.

hdd is how Mandrake sees your cdrom

hda is for primary master

hdb is for primary slave

hdc is for secondary master

hdd is for secondary slave

or something in the lines of this

edit: What it asked, is that you insert the particular CD in your CDROM drive.

Edited by solarian

ok, that's clear. When I do insert the CD, it churns along for several seconds and then makes the same statement, insert cdrom 1 (x86) in /dev/hdd, and on and on.....Maybe ------I only have one cdrom and it's on the cable by itself, could or should it be looking for the CD1 at hdc ?????

I am going to play with this for a while before reinstalling....

10.0 sometimes had problems with mounting.

Haven't seen this on 10.1 (but it has it's own small issues)

Try (1) inserting the cd and do what before, if still gives the message ->

then (2) as root in a terminal write "fuser -km /mnt/cdrom"

this should kill all the proceses that keep it busy*

then (3)"umount /mnt/cdrom"

then (4) "mount /mnt/cdrom"

*It is possible that you can kill X or something, but it's rare and nothing damaging.

I'll give that a try. I reinstalled Mandrake 10 last night but still has the same problem. I can see what I need in the program list, but when I choose the program, can't remember the exact name, but it is the KDE kppp front end dialer, it gets into that loop again. insert cd1 then bombs out with insert cd1 and so on, ad nausem.

Thanks for the replies.

• 2 weeks later...

irab

i agree with tl017, try copying your file to the hard drive. For some reason mdk 10.1 gave a wierd little error when trying to read that the disc. I don't think it a mounting issue but i could be wrong. the error could be cause by a bad rpm. This is what happen to me with when i installed Screem.. it did that exact same thing that's happening to you.. anyway i hope this helps.

regards,

SC