How to speed up compiling

Hey everyone,

Now that I am getting more versed in Linux I have a question. Some of the software I have been compiling on the machine can take upwards of 30 minutes to make. I am using Mandrake 10.1 Official Download and it has a software package called GNOME system monitor.

How can I speed up this process by changin the priority of the shell that is currently running. There are several sub processes under it should I just change the priority of the highest level (the actual shell client) or should I change the proitoy of all the procsses under it?

Also what would you reccomend changing the priority to? I like to run XMMS at the same time but that's the only program I am running besides all the stuff required for KDE to run.

BTW my machine is 2 GHZ with 512MB RAM.

Thank you :)

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

The scheduler in Linux 2.6 is pretty slick, so nice won't really do anything for you. Since you're a KDE user, I'll mention that you can get the KDE version of the Gnome system monitor by pressing ctrl-esc if you have the KDE-utils package installed. You can decide which you like better. I prefer using "ps aux" and "top" from the command line unless I need to kill a process owned by my account logged into KDE. Then I press ctrl-esc.

As for speeding up compilation, the only thing you can do is to stop running XMMS. If you find 30 minutes is a long time to wait for stuff to compile, then just be thankful you're not running Gentoo (which is a fine OS, no troll intended) ;)

It's not really about the amount of time it takes , just trying to learn what is the best way to optimize a linux system. And since compiling is the only thing i've done so far that really takes any CPU resources I figured i'd start there :)

BTW where can I find the rpms to install the KDE Utilites? Do you do it though URPMI?