Re-sizing Drives

3lade

Can you re-size drives without damaging your install?

Stupid question I'm sure but I think last time I tried Linux throw a wobbly.

A senario:

Just say I was drunk one night and decided to do the unthinkable of loading Party Magic and 'accidentally' wiped a NTFS or FAT32 section and then heaven forbid converted free space to Linux.

it's very hard to do...if you have partition magic that will usually resize drives "safely", but Linux will go wacko because the partitions will no longer exist in the form it has set.

so...i don't know a safe way of doing it myself, is what i'm saying. so i probably should've just not bothered posting.

hey, if you installed Linux drunk, that only goes to show how easy it is to install! though i don't think that would go over well as a motto....

"Linux, so easy to install, you can do it wasted!"

If your intent is to get rid of Windows or downsize it, then you should use a Windows partitioning tool. Partition Magic is a reasonable choice but you can download the Ranish Partition Manager from http://www.ranish.com for free. Ranish will also handle Linux partitions and if you are not uncomfortable working with numbers, Linux fdsk, cfdisk or sfdisk will work well for moving and expanding you Linux partitions. Note that neither Disk Druid (Red Hat) or Diskdrake can move and expand partitions.

Counterspy