trying to use modprobe

redss

How do I use modprobe to load a module I've compiled?

I've compiled several modules in attempt to enable the MIDI devices for my soundcard. Since I'm on a liveCD, my /lib/modules directory tree is readonly so I can't copy modules anywhere there.

So I have these modules in a writable directory under my home (on ramdisk).

When I use insmod to load it, I get unresolved dependancies (which means it did NOT load, is that correct?)

But if I use modprobe to load it, the module isn't found, so does modprobe only check for modules in the official modules directory?

Edited by redss

When I use insmod to load it, I get unresolved dependancies (which means it did NOT load, is that correct?)

Did you compile that modules using the same kernel source than that in the liveCD kernel? that could help; also may help the fact that the liveCD's kernel was compiled to allow such modules.

But if I use modprobe to load it, the module isn't found, so does modprobe only check for modules in the official modules directory?
yes, the official modules directory of the running kernel. But you may want to take a look to 'man depmod' to override that behaviour Edited by aru

Thanks for your reply. Yes the source of the modules are compiled from the same version as the kernel: 2.4.26. This is for the Knoppix LiveCD.

I previously was able to enable my webcam with 2 commands:

1) modprobe videodev (which added the video devices using the module libs that were included in knoppix)

2) insmod /mnt/sda1/quickcam.o (that module I compiled myself could be located anywhere).

I am hoping to repeat that success in getting the MIDI working, but in reading up on depmod and modprobe.conf, I don't know if this is possible with liveCD since /lib/modules is readonly.

I wish I could simply add a 2nd staging directory for modprobe and depmod to use. Maybe it would be easier to track down the dependancies manually and use insmod for each module? If you know the easiest way to do this please share, because I'm quite a newbie at this level.

When using insmod and getting undefined symbol errors, is there a way for me to work backwards when I get unmet depandancies?

i.e. how can I find what module contains the symbols required by the module I unsucessfully tried to inmod? Grep *.o doesnt seem to do it...