Upgrading to 10.1

Guest heman

hi,

I'm using Mandrake 9.2 but want to upgrade to the latese 10.1.

Can anyone guide me HOWTO uninstall 9.2, save my documents, install 10.1 and restore my files.

I also want to know whether 10.1 will work with HP CONFIGURATIONS or what are the considerations i have to keep in mind regarding hardware.

I'm using 9.2 WITHOUT windows and want to Continue with that.

Thanks a lot

Assuming your documents are on your /home partition, its easy to install 10.1 without uninstalling 9.2. first.

Insert CD-1 of MDK 10.1 and reboot, at the options screen, choose custom partitioning. Leave your partitions as they are and select to format all partitions except your /home partition this will preserve all your documents and settings. (though its a good idea to make external backups anyway)

As for your HP configurations, if they work on 9.2 they should work on 10.1

Moved from software forum

Agreed. I have upgraded this way SEVERAL times. You get all the bennefits of a clean install, without loosing personal files or settings. In fact, commercial software installed in your home diredctory, like ut2004 still works after a re-install this way.

The one warning I'd add is that whenever you format any partition, there is always a 'chance' that you will crash your hard drive and be forced to format the whole thing. It's not real likely, especialy with linux, but you need to know it 'can' happen. I suggest that you back up every thing in /home onto cdr's or dvdr's if you have things that are irreplacable.

Another thing: hardware is not infallible - it seems a good idea to do a backup of your personal files. Hard disks break from time to time (around 3% of desktop drives break within 18 months...!).

hmm.. my hardware must be quite good. one hd is six years, the other one nine years old. :D