Display issues on a UXGA Dell Inspiron 8500 (wide)

Guest optyx

Hi, Im just installed Mandrake on my Dell 8500 laptop. Of the problems I have run into, and been unable to solve, the most annoying is that the left 100 pixels or so and the right 100 pixels or so are black. The desktop is between them set at 1680 by 1050 resolution. If I move my cursur to the right side of the desktop, it scrolls over to what thould be the edge of the display! The same thing goes for the left side. I hope I am adequatel describing the problem, but Im not really sure how to say what is happening. I used XFree86 before for my display on a different distribution, and when configuring the XF86Config-4 file, I used UseOption "Wide", and I think that might have been what made it work. Im not really sure. That command is not recognized in X.org's XF86onfig. Im also having trouble with my display driver, specifically that I cannot get it to load (its the NVIDIA driver), but I dont think that is the problem here. I attached my XF86Config file below. Any help would really be appreciated, Im completely stuck here.

Thanks

Jere

XF86Config.txt

OK, I fixed that problem too. If anyone else runs into this problem, to install the drivers, first use "urpmi kernel-source-2.6"

This will install the correct kernel source. If you just use urpmi kernel-source, it installs the 2.4 kernel instead of the 2.6, not sure why. Then just run the driver update by typing "sh NV..<rest of name here>.."

After that, edit the xf86config file (located in /etx/X11 **note the capitol leter X) and change the entry driver "nv" to driver "nvidia"

That worked for my dell instpiron 8500, so hopefully, it will work for anyone else too

Ive actually fixed that display issue, had to change the display timings (i think its called). Still, though, i cant run the NVIDIA driver, and if anyone could help me with this, I'd appreciate it. The error I get is that it cant complete the installlation because it cant find nvidia.o in the kernel source. I got the source off of my mandrake 10.1 CD. Also, when I try to extract it first, and use "make install" it says it cant determine my kernel version. Interestingly enough, i just looked at the pkg-history, and it says it has a precompiled kernel for mandrake 10.1. Any help here would be great

-Jere