Help with my modem

Guest erhard

Guest erhard

First off all hi to everyone on this forum.

I finaly got tired of having to remove spyware everyday and installed madrake 10.1

on my computer, however my modem is not surpported my madrake but i found the drivers anyway so i opened a console typed in my password changed to the directory where i had saved the driver i then extracted the drivers and changed the directory again i then typed "./configure" because thats what the readme says but i get an error saying i don't have a valid c compiler in my PATH or something like that

any advice??

please keep in mind this is the fist time i've ever even seen a linux desktop so keep the language simple please :D

here are the drivers:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=264461

post-9111-1104687111_thumb.jpg

Edited by erhard

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of linux!

You need to install the development pkgs. Easiest way is in the Mandrake Control Center>Software Management>Install

Here are the gcc pkgss I have installed. Don't mind the versions as I run cooker, the 'development branch' of mandrake.

localhost:/# rpm -qa | grep gcc

gcc-c++-3.4.3-1mdk

libgcc1-3.4.3-1mdk

gcc-3.4.3-1mdk

gcc-cpp-3.4.3-1mdk

localhost:/#

let us know how it goes!

Edited by bvc

Guest erhard

Thank you so much i did that and the drivers are now installed :headbang:

However i have no idea how to connect, where do i put ISP infrmation and how do i start a connection

The one you want is called kppp. IMNSHO, it is without a doubt, the very best dialer program for dial-up ISP's in linux. If you're using kde as a desktop, it has a few extras, like the ability to close out completely with nothing but an icon in the task bar while maintaining your connection, but it's still the best, even with gnome or something else.

if you have specific configuration problems, let us know. I used dial-up with linux for quite a while before switching to Qwest DSL.

One tip: remember that the information you enter may be slightly different than when you are trying to set up the same conection in windows. In windows, the configuration is often done for you, but in linux, the initial configuration is always manual. If you are like me and used to set up your own advanced connections for dial-up in windows, then you will have no trouble. Anyway, an example is MSN internet service. Instead of entering your usingname or email as in windows, you enter MSN/username as a username. Each ISP is differnt in this respect, so you would do well to get online and find out what otheres ahve done to conect to your isp via linux. I can guarantee that you are not the first person to try.