kde crashing again

kungfooya

I have been having issues with kde crashing and restarting for awhile now

so I recently reinstalled mandrake 10. I thought this would take care of my

problems but it hasn't. After I start up, I get at least 1 crash per session, maybe

more. The problem seems to be random as well. I can be listening to music

in juk or amarok, or be online surfing in opera, or copying files, my screen

will go black, then x and kde will restart.

My setup is as follows:

mandrake 10 2.6.3-7 4gb kernel

1024 mb ram

geforce t1 4200 video card

lastest nvidia drivers

Since i'm at a beginners stage in linux, I'm getting to the point where

I may try another distro. This is pretty frustrating, and i'm at a loss as

to whats causing it. So, if anyone has any suggestions i'd really

appreciate them! Thanks.

Jason

Quick followup, I found the following info in the 'syslog' file. I know x is crashing

but am unsure why. Does this help at all? Thanks again.

Jan 2 15:55:55 localhost kdm[1590]: X server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly

Jan 2 15:55:55 localhost gconfd (jason-2717): Received signal 15, shutting down cleanly

Jan 2 15:55:55 localhost gconfd (jason-2717): Exiting

Jan 2 15:55:57 localhost kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.

Jan 2 15:55:57 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode

Jan 2 15:55:57 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode

Jan 2 15:55:57 localhost kernel: agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.

Jan 2 15:55:57 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode

Jan 2 15:55:57 localhost kernel: agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode

Jan 2 15:56:04 localhost gconfd (jason-3308): starting (version 2.4.0.1), pid 3308 user 'jason'

Jan 2 15:56:04 localhost gconfd (jason-3308): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.mandatory" to a read-only config source at position 0

Jan 2 15:56:04 localhost gconfd (jason-3308): Resolved address "xml:readwrite:/home/jason/.gconf" to a writable config source at position 1

Jan 2 15:56:04 localhost gconfd (jason-3308): Resolved address "xml:readonly:/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults" to a read-only config source at position 2

Jason

there should be a xsession.error file in your home directory. please post its contents. also try to reproduce the crash in different desktop environments. does it crash in gnome or icewm or windowmaker, too, when doing the same things you did in kde? give it a try.

i believe that the new nvidia driver might be part of the problem.

here is the contents of that file.

startkde: Starting up...

kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /home/jason/.kde/share/icons/Umicons_2.0/ group not valid.

ksplash: WARNING: KGenericFactory: instance requested but no instance name passed to the constructor!

QPixmap: Cannot create a QPixmap when no GUI is being used

kdecore (KIconLoader): WARNING: Icon directory /home/jason/.kde/share/icons/Umicons_2.0/ group not valid.

kbuildsycoca running...

X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2

Major opcode: 102

Minor opcode: 0

Resource id: 0x0

X Error: BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation) 2

Major opcode: 102

Minor opcode: 0

Resource id: 0x0

QFont::setPixelSize: Pixel size <= 0 (0)

kmix: ERROR: Alsa mixer cannot be found.

Please check that the soundcard is installed and the

soundcard driver is loaded.

kmix:

/home/jason/.mdkonline should be set to TRUE at /usr/bin/mdkapplet line 115.

kmix: ERROR: Alsa mixer cannot be found.

Please check that the soundcard is installed and the

soundcard driver is loaded.

kmix:

there shouon/.kde/share/icons/Umicons_2.0/ group  not valid.ld be a xsession.error file in your home directory. please post its contents. also try to reproduce the crash in different desktop environments. does it crash in gnome or icewm or windowmaker, too, when doing the same things you did in kde? give it a try.

i believe that the new nvidia driver might be part of the problem.

something seems to be wrong with your icons. delete all your temporary/config-folders in your/home directory (activate "show hidden files"). these are marked with a dot in front of the name, e.g. /.qt or /.icons. remove them and test again if your box crashes.

did you test the stability already in another desktop environment like icewm? does it crash?