Microsoft to abandon MS Passport

tyme

The article says "Curtail" not Abandon. In fact, it is not being abandoned by Microsoft, since they are still going to be using it for their own stuff.

I became an eBay member in 2000, and eBay's going with Passport made my skin crawl, even though you don't have to use it to logon.

I looked at Passport as both another attempt by Micrsoft at Absolute Global Power, and as an open invitation to identity theft.

Besides, don't you have to be using Windows in order to use Passport?

The article says "Curtail" not Abandon. In fact, it is not being abandoned by Microsoft, since they are still going to be using it for their own stuff.

First sentence:

Microsoft is abandoning one of its most contentious attempts to dominate the Internet after rival technology companies banded together in opposition and consumers failed to embrace it.

The basic idea behind Passport was a good one, but as it was a M$ product, they were just using a good idea to further attempt to control the Internet. And they executed the idea badly.

Luckily it failed.

I remember a statement by Bill Gates made in the mid-nineties where he said that Microsoft's biggest problem was how to control the Internet. Well, the truth has finally hit home that the Internet cannot be controlled.