Can't see Knoppix after MDK10.0 install

stan

:help: This started with a problem in MDK using an external USRobotics 56K modem, it dials fine but refuses to recognise my ISP. Tried almost every setting in the ppp wizard, no help. Then I recalled that Knoppix 3.3 LiveCD surfed before installing MDK, so I put it in to compare. Boot screen fine, but as soon as past boot:, screen goes black with an error from the monitor "out of range". Knoppix is booting (I hear the sultry "initiating starting sequence" and can back out using the keyboard with a sequence I found on this forum) but I can't see any of it. Monitor is Komodo 15 inch LCD.

The Question: what did MDK do that is blocking knoppix? At the boot splash I've tried setting the resolution with "knoppix screen=1024x768" (my screen native) but no help. Is there a file set by MDK that I can edit to fix this?

MDK and Windows 98 both still boot fine. 98 surfs fine, MDK still won't get past "CONNECT". (The debug shows CONNECT 28800/ARQ (if I remember right) then nothing happens till it times out.)

I've read on this forum till my eyes blanked out, but found neither problem addressed.

Did see a well-hidden reference to "change ATZ to AT in modem initialization" but that was for a "no connect" problem. Haven't tried that yet.

Note: I am still trying to learn Linux, but am stymied by the argot. I speak English, not Linuxspeak. Spell it out step by step, please assume no prior familiarity.

The problem is at home, I'm at work, so will try out your answers later. Thanks

Just got back from the knoppix forum and found this is a common problem. Will try a pile of cheatcodes until one works. It was a while back that I first tried this CD maybe I fixed this then (I have a leaky memory problem) and it wrote a conf file which got blown away when MDK installed. So if I fix this I will probably destroy MDK....

Will repost my ISP problem seperately

Edited by stan