Pango make - undefined reference

I am trying to compile gimp 2.2 and am having trouble installing pango.

I have determined that I need to install

glib 2.4.8

pango 1.4.0

atk

gtk+ 2.4

I have installed glib and atk.

After much frustration trying to get pango ./configure to run (it reported the wrong version of glib) I discovered that I needed to enter

export PKG_CONFIG_PASTH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

The problem I now have is that when I enter make I get the following errors:

/pango-1.4.1/pango/.libs/libpangoft2-1.0.so: undefined reference to `g_type_instance_get_private'

/pango-1.4.1/pango/.libs/libpangoft2-1.0.so: undefined reference to `g_type_class_add_private'

/pango-1.4.1/pango/.libs/libpango-1.0.so: undefined reference to `g_unichar_get_mirror_char'

If I had the wrong versions of these libraries I assume that ./configure would have detected the problem. Hence I do not know what to do next.

FWIIW:

Mandrake 9.2

gcc 3.3.1

kernel 2.4.22-10mdk

Any help would be appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...

maybe because pango is one of those pkg that requires the right configure options to be passed...more than just

./configure

or

./configure --prefix=/usr

it's not a nice pkg

ever do Ctrl+Alt+F1 and see a lot of pango errors?

why not rpms or even src.rpms? At least the mandrake src.rpms with already have the right configure options.

• 2 weeks later...
maybe because pango is one of those pkg that requires the right configure options to be passed...

In that case, all it needs is someone to say what the options are.

it's not a nice pkg

ever do Ctrl+Alt+F1 and see a lot of pango errors?

No. Ctrl+Alt+F1 is always a log-in screen for me. Not saying you're wrong, just saying I've not seen any pango errors.

why not rpms or even src.rpms? At least the mandrake src.rpms with already have the right configure options.

I'm sure RPMs are great but they're not out yet are they?? Hence people trying to build from source. And aren't RPM's made by building from source anyway? Why don't people just help others learn how to build the packages from source, rather than leaving people in the dark. Just wondering, and this topic is in the "Advanced topics" category after all.