10.1+system Hdd on IT8212 mkinitrd failed: SOLVED

Guest xman

Hello there.

This is my problem (weird)

I install 10.1 on this Seagate 200Gb ide drive. It senses IT8212 non-raid controller and loads scsi_mod+sd_mod+iteraid. Now it sees my disk, i partition, format etc.

It installs fine but at the final steps, when installing bootloader it fails "mkinitrd failed"

Alt+F2

chroot /mnt

mkinitrd -v -f --preload scsi_mod --preload sd_mod --with=iteraid /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img --ifneeded 2.6.8.1-12mdk

verification of scsi_mod & sd_mod dependencies OK

"No module IT8212 found for kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk, aborting"

mkinitrd -f /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img 2.6.8.1-12mdk

"No module IT8212 found for kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk, aborting"

What does this mean? I have the module but it's called iteraid not IT8212 for 2.6.8.1-12mdk under 3rdparty/iteraid and it's alive & kicking.

Somehow i did go through and installed lilo on /dev/sda but with only windows on the menu (no linux "yet - wanna fix this" because of initrd).

So how do i make this initrd work?

I really need help.

How can i make this work without changing the drive to the southbridge controller (it's a VIA 686B from Abit KT7A which ALLWAYS destroys harddrives after some time) ?

Edited by xman

I just did:

cd /lib/modules/2.6.8.1-12mdk/kernel/3rdparty/iteraid

cp iteraid.ko.gz IT8212.ko.gz

mkinitrd -v -f --preload scsi_mod --preload sd_mod --with=iteraid /boot/initrd-2.6.8.1-12mdk.img --ifneeded 2.6.8.1-12mdk

Nothing else works, neither "-builtin=IT8212" nor setting up an alias.

Oh, allmost forgot.

After mkinitrd fails, copy the module like above, but don't try mkinitrd cause it will fail because "this kernel don't support loop". WTF ?

So u reboot and F1 to rescue, mount your partitions, go to console, chroot /mnt and only now you can mkinitrd as above. Then reboot, and choose upgrade (so u actually get some usable boot options in lilo or grub or whatever your bootloader is, unless u might wanna do it yourself ...)

PS

After installing (the official download version) i was severely dissapointed. There's no such thing as "devel" pachages on the whole 3 CDs. Plus, there are things missing. I've been Mdk user from adam & eve but things look weird now...

There's no space for -devel packages on three CDs, and not enough space for all the Mandrake packaged apps either. This can't be changed unless you can come up with a way to magically increase the size of CDs, or magically decrease the size of software :). You just have to get the Powerpacks or download from mirrors.