Losing mouse and sound after booting in to WinXP

Guest dUMBEST

Guest dUMBEST

Yesterday I decided for the very first time ever to try Linux (Mandrake 10.1, 3 cd download).

It went well, was able to update video card drivers, install a few apps and some games, going great! I am pleased with my work for never ever using any Linux before.

Only one problem, I installed it on a partition. Now, whenever I log back into Windows XP (SP2, with all the latest updates) and then try and log back into Linux, shit happens.

First, in the boot screen I get a new option “2427-0pre21”. Trying it just appears to load Mandrake normally.

The only Problem, it (2427-0pre21), regular Linux, and all other Linux options in the boot menu, when loaded my sound and mouse no longer works!

I have reinstalled 3 times, every time it happens after I boot into WinXP and then try to go back into Mandrake.

What happens if you reboot from Mandrake and go straight back into Mandrake, without loading Windows? Do the mouse and sound work in that case, or not?

I can't tell if you're powering the system down in the middle or not. If you're just doing a warm reboot - the system is never actually shutdown - does shutting down completely and turning the power off, then turning the power back on and booting into Mandrake change anything?

Guest dUMBEST

Thanks for trying to help. I was doing a proper shutdown. It only does it when I set Windows as the default boot device, when I set it back Mandrake everything starts working fine....who cares, that is good enough for me!

I will figure it out later, this is my 2nd day with linux.