FC2 to FC3

null

I'm still plugging away on FC2, which I installed over 6 mos. ago. I pretty much like it. Being a casual home user, I wonder if its worth it to install FC3...

Back when I installed FC2, unfortunately I just let the installer do what it wanted to do with partitions. So as a result, my home dir is not a separate directory. Is there an easy way to make a separate /home directory and copy my home stuff into it...

Then I guess I could install FC3 and still have my old home stuff unharmed...

imho, fc3 is the best release rh has ever had and i've used the since 6.x, but of course i'm an odd ball around here so who knows if i really know what i'm talking about ;-)

Answering your question, yes "I" would move to FC3. Your options:

1.) Take the risk and resize your drive to make a seperate /home

2.) If you have a burner/buy one backup your data and re-install

3.) Back your data up to "Box 2: win2k - not used much anymore" Install FC3 move your data back.

4.) Try Upgrading via cd's/yum (still backup your data)

5.) I'm out of options atm so this one doesn't count.

I was hoping it would be something simple, like make the new home dir and then copy everything from the old dir to the new. But I guess that's stupid - if you make a new home dir it would still be under root, so nothing gained. Has to be partitioned as a new home dir.

When I moved from win2k to FC2, I got all my personal files off of my win2k box and onto my FC2 box the hard way... (usb stick). I don't know about networking them together yet, but I'd like to.

I do have a CD burner on my FC2 box. I've been wanting to replace it with a DVD burner though. My home dir is currently around 9.2 Gb (alot of music files). I suppose I should burn off some of those to CDs so as to make my home dir smaller and easier to backup.

I'll have to start another thread about networking a win2k and FC box together, would make life easier.

If you copy the files across then copy them back you'll lose the owner, group and permissions.

can you expand on that...? you mean if I copy them from FC to win2k via a home network connection, and then copy them back the same way, then that will happen...?

If you do loose all your permisions for your user when you cp them back you can simply

chown -R justin:justin /home/justin

for example will give "me" ownership on everything in that dir, if your permissions did change.

Yeah. Permissions aren't as easy to get back, though.

null: Yes. They'll be owned by whoever copies them back, with stock permissions (which are quite, well, permissive). To be technical, the permissions are actually determined at the point when the Windows drive is mounted. If you put them all into a tar file, copy THAT across to the windows machine (or anywhere else), copy it back and untar, you'll have exactly what you had before.