Partition Sizes

Guest jasonp

Hi,

I want to install 10.0 (powerpack DVD) allongside XP Pro SP2 on a Compaq M300. My question is how much space does 10.0 take up? I only have a 12Gb HD so space is a premium. Also, 192Mb ram, so is 500Mb about right for a swap partition?

I have read many posts on XP not being able to boot after dual XP install, so am a bit worried of screwing the HD. Anyone elso done this on a M300?

384MB would be fine for swap. Mandrake doesn't have 'a size', it all depends on what you install. A reasonably sized install can be done in under a gigabyte, though you'll probably find yourself adding to that. Any problems you get dual-booting are at least reversible, you can't screw anything permanently.

My rule of thumb has been 5GB for an installation, which for me has been very generous (not that much software and no games). See the current thread on partiotn schemes for more. So don't worry 12GB is plenty. What is important is how you set it up, hence the partition schemes thread.