Audacity quits unexpectedly with export to mp3

dlfuller

I started using Audacity with Mandrake Community 10.1 to primarily convert audio cassette tapes to mp3s.

But I have also consistently had a problem with it unexpectedly quitting in under a minute of the export to mp3 process. A large mp3 file size is created and it does contain a small amout of playable audio.

The same pattern repeats with different sample rates and sample formats. As a rule the same Audacity project will export as Ogg Vorbis satisfactorily. Just not as mp3.

I've replaced my libmp3lame.so libraries. I've exported smaller selections. I've broken Audacity projects into smaller projects and exported from them. I've even gone as far as trying Mac Audacity on OS X 10.3.6. The pattern remains the same with under a minute of mp3 export and then Audacity unexpectedly quitting or hanging.

It seems I have sometimes lucked-out by recording shorter Audacity projects and then exporting to mp3. But this is not reliable and it requires a lot of attention when converting cassette tapes instead of handling a complete 60 or 90 minutes side of a cassette at once.

Suggestions please. What should I look for? Are longer tracks an inherent problem with mp3 exporting?

--Don

Edited by dlfuller