Adding CDs to "Install Software"

lrsach01

I originally downloaded version 9 and installed it here at work (Love it, BTW). Anyways, I just got the PowerPack version for Christmas. I wanted to add the new disks to the Install Software program so I could graphically select the packages I want (yes..I'm a windows convert and not the best at command line...yet). I tried using the Software Sources Manager but the items don't appear in the Install Software program. All new sources were added OK with no problems. What am I missing?

Hmm, ...could be because you added the extra cds from the powerpack but not cd1, try this, insert cd1 from the power pack , go to software manager and update source

anon is correct. I've already gone through the process of adding the comercial application cds using rpmdrake's software manager. No good. I tried the suggestion of rebuilding the rpm database from command line....no good. it seems to me (a decidedly novice user) that the system just doesn't know where to find the "list" of software. I the installation disk entries, there are places for the "synthesis/hdlist" locations. I found the hdlist files on Installation Disk 1. Unfortunately, I have no idea which disk corresponds to "commercial Application Disk 1." THe RPMS directory is listed as RPMS5. There is no "hdlist5" file. There is a "synthesis.hdlist5" file but I still cannot get the system to "see" the disk in the install software window.

GOT IT!

beesea's idea didn't work but it got me on the right track. urpmi never asked for the media. It just blew past it and then looked for the information on its own. I realized urpmi must have its own "database" somewhere. I looked up the mini-howto for urpmi (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jwrobinson/docs/urpmi-howto/) and got some information on the configuration files. I found tthat the hdlist files are stored in /var/lib/urpmi. I then copied hdlist*.cz, synthesis.hdlist*.cz and hdlist.txt to /var/lib/urpmi. Then I went back to the "Software Sources Manager" in rpmdrake. I followed the following steps for adding "commercial apps cd1."

1. Printed hdlist.txt for reference

2. Selected "removeable" for the media type.

3. Typed "Commercial Apps CD1" for the name (it was the name listed in hdlist.txt)

4. Typed the path "/mnt/cdrom/Mandrake/RPMS5" (the proper directory was listed in hdlist.txt).

5. Typed the hdlist location "../base/hdlist5.cz" (again, the name was listed in hdlist.txt).

6. Click on "OK" and then "Save and Quit."

7. Repeat for the remainind disks

I then went into rpmdrake's "Install Software" and the new entries were listed in the "software repository" list.

Thanks for the help guys. With out you I would never have found the answers

One more thing!

beesea was right about needing the installation cd 1. The new disks would not be added unless the cd was present. On a side note, "supermount" was driving me a bit crazy. After adding each new media, I was forced to eject the cd to "reset" the system. For some reason, supermount (at least I presume it was supermount) would "drop" what ever directory I was using after each addition. It was giving me a headache to be certain. Thanks again guys!