Could not install

king_scott_2

After a friend gave me the mandrake 10.1 community CD-ROMs I tried installing it. After selecting my CD-ROM drive I wish to use for the installation then inserting the CD1 I got an error message "Could not open compressed ramdisk file (/sysroot/tmp/image/install/stage2/mdkinst_stage2.bz2.)

Any ideas on how to install it??? (I had mandrake 10.0 community installed fine)

If all else fails, Is there a way I could install mandrake 10.1 from within mandrake 10.0?????

Thanks for your time, Scott

did the cd-roms work on his box? if not, check the md5 sum of the cds. they might be a bad burn.

you can install/upgrade your 10.0 to 10.1 via web-access. but do this only if you have broadband. otherwise it will take years to complete the download.

go to the "easyurpmi" site (→google) if you haven't done so already and set up your mirrors. when asked, which system you are using, do not select 10.0 but 10.1 official edition. follow the instructions. once your mirrors are ready, reboot your system into failsafe-mode or boot into a terminal. (in failsafe mode, type at the first prompt "init 3" and then log in as root).

once you are logged in as root on the command-line or a terminal (do not run gnome, kde or whatsoever!), type "urpmi --auto --auto-select". urpmi should take care of everythign now. once urpmi has finished, type "lilo -v" and reboot. that should do the trick.