upgraded 10.0 to 10.1 using urpmi, devfsd problems

Guest greatgatsby

Guest greatgatsby

I recently updated from 10.0 to 10.1 using urpmi. It took about ten minutes to log in everytime i started up. a friend said that they went from devfsd to umount. so i removed devfsd using rpm. Now when i reboot i get this error:

{

Your system is currently using devfs but devfsd isnt available. you should disable devfs (add 'devfs="nomount"') to the parameters that your bootloader gives to the kernel.

Disabling devfs (was mounted on /dev) umount: /dev: device is busy.

}

Now it only lets me log in with root password as read only. What is going on? I tried booting with my old 10.0 disc to do rescue, and it says fatal: raid_setup: stat ("/dev/hda")

Anyone have a clue whats going on? Thanks

~Gats

Guest greatgatsby

i took care of is. used failsafe to wipe out any devfs remaing files and change lilo to devfs=nomount. thanks though. i think its fixed. well at least this will help someone else that might have this problem

~gats

just another place for folks to check should they have a problem with devfsd/udev in 10.1.

i recently used the "upgrade" feature to upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1. all went swimmingly well, except i kept getting a message during boot that devfsd was being used instead of udev. i couldn't get udev to start or work, no matter what i tried. i stopped the service from running, uninstalled devfsd, removed all references & configs for it, edited lilo properly, even tried a newer version of udev, to no avail.

it turned out that during the upgrade, somehow a hidden file called .devfsd was left/put in the /dev directory. i deleted that hidden file (after doing all of the above), no more errors, udev works fine.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Guest flarkit

Hi

If I may ask a slightly off-topic question, please...

How long does it take to upgrade 10.0 (I have Official) to 10.1 using urpmi, if I were to use a 56K dialup?

Thanks

Edited by flarkit

flarkit: that's hard to answer precisely, as it depends what you have installed, but it'd be reasonably close to 'forever'. :) Let's assume you'd need to download 1GB of data, which is a reasonable assumption for a standard Mandrake installation; that'd be, oh, 50 hours or more. Yikes.

Guest greatgatsby
flarkit: that's hard to answer precisely, as it depends what you have installed, but it'd be reasonably close to 'forever'. :) Let's assume you'd need to download 1GB of data, which is a reasonable assumption for a standard Mandrake installation; that'd be, oh, 50 hours or more. Yikes.

well i was on I2 and was getting 1.9MBps and it took all night. the other thing is sometimes you have to notice its waiting for you to enter a Y/N for a package.