10.1 PPC Boot Failure

Guest prodi_g

Guest prodi_g

Here's the scenario: I'm trying to upgrade from 9.1 to 10.1 on ppc. I originally had problems with running the original installer (screen went black after trying to boot installer) but I got around this by using "install-text video=ofonly". I went through the entire installation process and towards the end I was given the during the bootloader install it told me that I may need to run the following command in the open firmware setup:

"setenv boot-device /pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-4@1f000/dik@0:2,\\:tbxi"

So I entered that, shut-down and rebooted. This time entered 'l' during the first stage boot to run linux, then I pressed "tab" to show the different kernels and I loaded "2681-122" since it loads the other kernel by default.

After this, it begins loading the kernel and then my screens goings blank again (Similar to what others where experiencing when trying to run the installer without the "video=ofonly" switch.

Can anyone please shed light on this problem? I've been trying to work around it for the past day or two, reading mesage boards, etc., but I can't even get the damn thing to load. In the time being, I reinstalled 9.1 and now, I'm just patiently waiting.

By the way, the ISOs are clean. I already checked the md5. Thanks for the help.

What sort of Mac? What graphics card?

A lot of the ATI cards are broken in 10.1PPC. If you can get a working console up. Run "mcc" as root and change your graphics card to the kernel frame buffer driver.

Note: this has a max setting of 800x600x16bit for the Rage 128 cards.