Problem installing 10.1 Official on SATA [solved]

Guest jbeard

Hello,

This problem is from installing 10.1 Official with kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk on a pc with one SATA drive.

10.1 is on a distribtion set of CDs: CD1,CD2,CD3,Updates CD. The pc has

Motherboard: Giga-byte Technology GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 motherboard (865PE)

Motherboard ID: 11/05/2003-i865G-6A79AG0CC-00

Chipset: Intel Springdale-G i865G

BIOS: Award Modular (11/05/03) type: Award Modular BIOS v66666.00PG

HD: Seagate Barracuda 120GB ST3120026AS Serial-ATA/150

IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82801EB (ICH5) Serial ATA 150 Storage Controller (rev 02) (prog-if 8a [Master SecP PriP])

CDROM: DVD-ROM CD-RW LG Electronics HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4502B

Booting from CD1 leads to the error message "No CDROM device ".

The Forum gives two common solutions to this:

1: Entering linux noapic nolapic nodma at the initial boot prompt (after F1) - does not solve the problem

2: Using an earlier version of the Kernel and updating after installation.

(Another suggestion, of disabling SATA, shouldn't be necessary as the release notes state SATA is supported, and the installation log reads: needs libdata succeeded ata-piix)

Made a boot floppy using Kernel 2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk.img from CD1.

Install proceeds into the graphical interface. After Licences there occurs an error message:

"insmod'ing module ata_piic failed at /usr/bin/perl-install/modules.prn line 302.". Accept message and installation completes.

After reboot, Lilo starts. Windows runs okay. Of the linux optons only 2427-0pre21 will run. Choosing any other linux option from LILO gives the error message :

Creating root device

Mounting root filesystem

mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flags defaults

well, retrying without the option flags

mount: error 6 mounting ext3

pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed: 2

umount /initrd/sys failed: 2

umount /initrd/proc failed: 2

Initrd finished

Mounted devfs on /dev

Freeing unused kernel memory: 200k freed

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel.

The observant reader will recall this is the same message reported in Forum- Installing Mandrake: ICH5 SATA problem installing Mandrake 10.1 CE, [sOLVED].topic #200050 (?).

That problem was :

"I tried to install Mandrake 10.1 Community version which uses kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk. The installation hanged at the following step: "Loading driver for SCSI adapter:Intel Corp.. | 82801EB ICH5 IDE (SATA)".

The problem was solved by deleting all linux from the system, whereupon

"Then I started the installation of 10.1 again. And there was no problems during the install. The provided kernel-2.6.8.1-12mdk worked find."

There is no explanation why the intial problem is cured by removing all linux.

The problem that is solved is the one described in the thread by pmpatrick:

"First, the later 2.6 kernels do designate sata drives as scsi devices(/dev/sdax). The earlier 2.6.3 kernel in mdk10 designated sata drives as ide devices(/dev/hdax).

Second, you have an existing mdk10 install on your system and are trying to install mdk10.1 on the same system on a different partition. One quirk that mandrake has when installing on a system where there is an existing earlier mandrake install - even if you are not upgrading the earlier mandrake install, for the new install mandrake picks up the fstab from the earlier install which can kead to problems.

That may be a little confusing so see my post here to see what I'm talking about:

http://mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=12113&hl= "

ie the problem solved was to amend Lilo to allow running 10 when installed after 10.1

Me, all I want to do is to install 10.1 with its supplied default kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk.

I seem to have two problems:

Unable to install 10.1 with its default kernel 2.6.8.1-12mdk because of whatever is the cause of the "No CDROM device " error message;

Having installed 10.1 with a 2.4.27 series kernel then being unable to upgrade to the later 2.6.8 series kernel because of the change in designation of SATA devices to sdaX and the install process doesn't update fstab, lilo.cong and whatever other files.

the /etc/fstab file is:

/dev/hda5 / ext3 defaults 1 1

/dev/hda7 /home ext3 defaults 1 2

none /mnt/cdrom supermount dev=/dev/hdc,fs=udf:iso9660,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-15 0 0

none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=ext2:vfat,--,umask=0,iocharset=iso8859-15,sync,codepage=850 0 0

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs umask=0,nls=iso8859-15,ro 0 0

none /proc proc defaults 0 0

/dev/hda6 swap swap defaults 0 0

the /etc/lilo/confg is:

# File generated by DrakX/drakboot

# WARNING: do not forget to run lilo after modifying this file

default="linux"

boot=/dev/hda

map=/boot/map

keytable=/boot/us-latin1.klt

prompt

nowarn

timeout=100

message=/boot/message

menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="linux-nonfb"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6"

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk

label="2427-0pre21"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.27-0.pre2.1mdk.img

append="devfs=nomount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6 splash=silent"

vga=788

read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz

label="failsafe"

root=/dev/hda5

initrd=/boot/initrd.img

append="failsafe acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda6"

read-only

other=/dev/hda1

label="windows"

table=/dev/hda

I would be grateful for advice which answers the following:

To end up with Mandrake 10.1 and the 2.6.8 series kernel shall I edit /etc/fstab & /etc/lilo.conf so all

/dev/hda become /dev/sda (e.g. use "find and replace" in a text editor) ?

I am asking because this seems too easy not to be written into the CD installation programme or the Release Notes.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Regards, jbeard

Welcome to the board.

I have a box with a single Sata drive and had a simular problem to you, but there was no need to change the kernel.

The answer for me was to change the bios settings from auto detect /AHCI to Auto detect /ATA

Guest trickster
Welcome to the board.

I have a box with a single Sata drive and had a simular problem to you, but there was no need to change the kernel.

The answer for me was to change the bios settings from auto detect /AHCI to  Auto detect /ATA

Hi, I had the same problem as jbeard. What do you mean switch from auto detect /AHCI to Autodetect/ATA? If you mean ACPI, that's got nothing to do with the Serial ATA settings.

Oh, Jbeard: for you, it could be your LG drive that's causing the problem. Not sure but I read somewhere that Mandrake 10.1 has some problems with LG.

Edited by trickster

To anon: Thanks for the reply, I tried this before writing in, but it didn't work.

To trickster: Thanks for the reply, the Mandrake 10.1 certainly doesn't like the LG DVD/CDRW in my m/c. The references I found in this forum to LG drives were about an earlier release of Mdk burning out the prom of a particular model of LG. I remember someone getting a bit upset and describing Mdk as a virus.

To The Moderator: You can mark this problem as solved, although not one of 100+ readers could answer my question. I solved it by getting SuSe 9.1 which installed without trouble, giving me a 2.6 series kernel and a ready-to-go driver for the Lucent Microelectronics LT WinModem.

jbeard

Guest patslap

As per the above advice, I wish to completely remove Mandrake 10.1 from my system and reinstall so that I can overcome the kernel panic: No init found.... problem.

How do completely remove Mandrake from my PC. It is currently set up as dual boot (Win XP and MDK 10.1 using grub bootloader). I don;t want to risk losing all my Windows data and having to reinstall WinXP too.

Help appreciated.

patslap

:thanks:

First, what will you do with the Mandrake partitions? You may simply want to reinstall Mandrake or another linux system. If so just go ahead and you will be asked about partitioning, bootloaders, etc. If you simply want only Windows you can, from recue on cd1 re-install the Windows bootloader. Also you may want to use the lilo bootloader instead, the few times I've tried grub I've had a mess, but I don't know grub as I do lilo. If you do re-install the Windows loader you will still have partitions on your drive, but Windows will know nothing of them.

Guest patslap
First, what will you do with the Mandrake partitions? You may simply want to reinstall Mandrake or another linux system. If so just go ahead and you will be asked about partitioning, bootloaders, etc. If you simply want only Windows you can, from recue on cd1 re-install the Windows bootloader. Also you may want to use the lilo bootloader instead, the few times I've tried grub I've had a mess, but I don't know grub as I do lilo. If you do re-install the Windows loader you will still have partitions on your drive, but Windows will know nothing of them.

Thanks for advice - I ended up going into WinXP and using Disk Management tool to delte swap file and linux partitions, then rebooted to install MDK 10.1 and hey presto - it now boots fine, with no kernel panic halt.

Cheers

patslap :D

• 1 month later...
Guest theraven_000

Hello,

I have a dual boot system set up on Dell Dimension 8400 Desktop. I have two SATA drives, both are 80gb and WinXp is on one and MandrakeLinux 10.1 is on the other.

The problem that I am having is that I need to go into my BIOS and set the SATA Operations to RAID Autodetect / ATA in order to boot into Linux. Then when I want to get back to Windows I need to change it to RAID Autodetect / AHCI.

I was wondering if there is a way that I could patch the linux kernel to get it to boot in AHCI.

Thank you!

Guest jared1999

I had the same problem as the first poster on a ABit IC7-G board (Intel i875G), and was able to solve it (at least for my hardware configuration). The problem occurs when the ATA setup in BIOS is running in IDE mode (not RAID), and set to Combined. This will treat SATA drives as if they are ATA and connected to the regular IDE controller (I guess this is some sort of compatibility mode). With this setup it seems you cannot mix ATA and SATA devices when using the 10.1 installation kernel. In my case only the SATA devices were detected. The solution for me was to set the IDE mode to Enhanced. Now the system will see the four usual ATA "slots" and the rest are SATA. Mandrake 10.1 then proceeded to detect all devices without any problems.

As a sidenote, Windows XP has no issues with either mode and according to an earlier post SuSe works too, so I'm guessing this is a kernel/device/driver configuration issue.