Strange problem with M748 and Kernel 2.6.3

Guest MarciaN

Guest MarciaN

First of all, hello to everyone! I'm new in this forum. :D

I had a strange problem I need to solve. I hope you can give me a hand.

This is a description of my hard:

Mother PC Chips M748LMRT with AT power supply

Micro Pentium III 550 MHz (Slot-1 Cartridge)

HD 10 GB (40-pins IDE cable)

320 MB DIMM SDRAM (256 + 64)

Video SiS 530 On board

Pctel HSP56 Modem On board

CM8738 Sound On board

CD-ROM Samsung

CD-RW 12x8x32 Acer

When I first tried to install Mandrake 10.0 Official, the system get stacked after the "Loading program into memory..." message. :angry:

After a couple of days I change, from the BIOS, the CPU base Frequency to 66Mhz (originally it was on 100Mhz. NOTE: The SDRAM Frequency changed automatically to 66Mhz too). The new CPU was 366Mhz (as the multiple factory stills on 5.5X).

I tried a again to install MDK10 and the installation went perfectly well. The point is that I want to use my micro a 550 MHz, which is really much more faster.

So I decided to configure and build a kernel that I downloaded from the net (2.4.26). As it was the first time I configure and compile my own kernel, I just “put into the kernel” the things my system has. The options I didn't understand I read carefully the help and a choose the answer based, in most of the cases, in the “safe option” the help provides. Others, with no help at all, I just guessed them.

And it worked! I could use my micro at 550 MHz!

A couple of days ago, I decided to reinstall my MDK10 with the 2.6.3 original kernel. The point is that I want to use it at 550Mhz with the 2.6.3 kernel.

It tried to configure and build it several times and the result stills the same: Several errors and crashes at boot time when I turn the FSB to 100Mhz!! :(

My hypothesis is that there is an option enabled (or disabled) in the configuration of 2.6.3 that is causing this problem, and I don't know which one.

Some points to consider:

*I used M$ Win98 and M$ Winxp on the same machine and they worked perfectly (well, as perfect as you can expect from a window$)

*I boot Knoppix LiveCD (2.4.x) and works perfectly. On the contrary, Ubuntu LiveCD (2.6.x) has the mentioned problem. :unsure:

*Once, I installed the precompiled kernel 2.4.25 that came with Mandrake and I HAD the same problem.

*The SDRAM Frequency parameter is NOT changeable.

*I search on Google and I couldn't find any information about this.

*I have a poor dial-up connection so I can't download all the kernels and test them (apart from the fact that it will took hours to configure and compile them!)

*PC Chips sucks!

Thank you very much for taking your time to read my problem!

I'll be very grateful if you can help me.. B)

PS: Sorry for my English, I'm not a native English speaker. :D :oops: