The Blue Screen of Death on Totem Media Player

neilinoz

Almost everytime I put a DVD into my DVD player, Totem starts automatically after the player identifies it. That's fine. Unfortunately every time Totem starts this way, it has what i can only describe as "The Blue Screen of Death". The DVD screen, which is supposed to show the menu and the movie etc, is just blue. Sound comes out - I can even hear dialogue when the movie is playing - but the TBSOD means no vision can be seen.

I have tried opening Totem before putting the DVD into the player. Same problem - BSOD.

My solution is quite simple. As soon as Totem starts, I close it. I then open it again and get the standard Totem screen. I then select "Play DVD" and everything works fine from that point on.

I would, however, prefer it if the damn program works flawlessly!

I don't know how to find these files if I do have them. I checked file:/lib and they aren't there.

(I have tried the search feature in the Konquerer File browser but it never finds anything)

Check with the "Remove Programs" in the Mandrake Control Panel is libdvdcss is there.

If not, do the following:

If you have mandrake installed and urpmi setup for using mirrors on the internet, then use that.

Otherwise, just download them from:

For Mandrake 10.0:

http://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/...rake/10.0/i586/

For Mandrake 9.2:

http://ftp.club-internet.fr/pub/linux/plf/mandrake/9.2/i586/

Find them within the page (do not use the devel versions, the normal one is fine)

If you want to find another mirror than the one that I have provided go to:

PLF

Then install them (either double-click on them in konqueror or enter rpm -ivh name-of-the-package.rpm in a console as root [you will need to be in the folder where you saved it]).

I hope this will solve your problem.

If not, I recommend Mplayer which is pretty good, but you still need libdvdcss installed. You can find the website here.

Good luck with that!

Also, set your package manager to use mirrors. The following page has a tool to easily do that.

this is a known Totem bug, actually. It was fixed in Cooker, and myself and some others urged for the updated package to be backported to 10.1 updates, but I'm not sure if it has been yet. When I was suffering under it, Neil, I used the same workaround as you. You're not going to be able to fix it unless a 10.1 update package is released, or you feel comfortable rebuilding the Cooker .src.rpm, unfortunately.

Edited by adamw