P3 Speedstep no longer steps in Mdk 10.1

Guest mr.f

I have a Compaq EVO410c which is supposed to run on 1GHz when plugged in and 700MHz on battery. In Mdk 10,0 this worked, sort-of. It didn't switch modes when running, but selected the correct mode depending on power source when swiched on.

Yesterday I installed Mdk 10.1 official instead, and now it's always running at 1GHz. I'd rather have it at 700 on battery since battery time is usually more important than the extra speed. Anyone heard of/encountered this problem and/or have any ideas if it can be corrected?

And yes btw, acpi is enabled.

Also, any general hints on acpi/power-saving? I have found precious little (up-to-date) information about this. Tried to install acpitool but it segfaults. pmsuspend2 works, and fan control, and the battery indicator :D However, how do you use the laptop/suspend stuff in /etc/acpi, /etc/sysconfig and laptop-mode? How do you configure suspend on the lid or suspend button?

Oh, and by the way: Hi all in this forum! This is my first, but hopefully not last, post in this forum. I've been using Mdk for years (since the 8-series I think).

/f

• 4 weeks later...

AFAIK, to get CPU frequency scaling working, you need 1. CPUFreq support enabled in the kernel, with performance governors compiled into the kernel or as a module (I blieve this stuff is enabled in Mandrake kernels, unless you use a custom built one); 2. a daemon which will switch frequency modes (cpudyn, cpufreq); 3. a speedstep support module loaded at boot time, such as speedstep-centrino for 2.4 kernel and Pentium-M chipset.

If dropping frequency to 700Mhz when on batteries is only thing you need, then go for cpufreq daemon. Check whether speedstep-centrino, or whatever module matches your CPU and kernel, is loaded (as root, # lsmod |grep speedstep).Then install cpufreq package if not installed, and take a look and edit if necessary the config file /etc/cpufreqd.conf. After all done, start the cpufreq daemon as root

service cpufreqd start

This will cause cpufreqd monitor frequency and choose an appropriate performance governor. Try to plug/unplug AC power and see whether the frequency changes.

Can't help you with acpi suspend/resume - I use apm

Edited by coverup