Where is hdcdrom-usb.img?

Guest kirkbill

Guest kirkbill

Hi all

I did not find the img file that lets you boot from an external (usb) cd drive. I succesfully installed MDK 9.2 from an external cd drive, but in the 10.0 - 10.1 cds this file seems to be missing. I really need this method to upgrade because my laptop's cd drive does not work, so I went usb. Any ideas?

Guest kirkbill

No it doesn't. I tried, and it boots but the when installation begins, it complains because kernel in installation media is not the same as in boot media. Maybe the trick is to generate a boot disk from the image in 9.2 and then do some hack in this disk to change the kernel. Any idea? :help:

I have this same problem. My internal cdrom drive is flakey about reading cdroms and I wish to use my external burner as well. I have a HP N5195 notebook, and it does not support USB device booting. After much research on Google, this has been a problem since Mandrake 10.0 Official was released. There was a bug report submitted about the missing hdcdrom_usb.img, but nothing was done about it.

The answers I found for this so far is "do a ftp install", "buy a new computer", "copy the distribution to your harddrive and install from that" or "I'm switching to Gentoo / Ubuntu / <fill in any distro here, it rocks!>" The unfortunate thing is that the reference for hdcdrom_usb.img still resides in the installation readme on the first cdrom. The first solution I may end up doing, the second is sheer fantasy, the third may be a possible option and the fourth is that I've used Mandrake since the version 6 days, RedHat since 3.0.3 and I believe that this problem can be solved. I don't know the first thing about creating my own hdcdrom_usb.img file. Learning to create this file may be the solution that we need for this. I feel it is important to have this way of installation....you never know when you may need it at a friend's house, at a client's office or during an emergency situation.