MDK 10.1: the smallest baseline installation

henner

Hi,

i will build a LiveCD for a VDR with MDK 10.1.

for this i need a very very small base system (w/o X).

If i unselect all pakages and select the minimal installation (w/o urpmi) the installation has 179 mb .

this is much to big for my projekt.

what i need is a much smaller baseline linux with urpmi and some tools like wget, lynx, mc, gcc, ....

how can I get the smalles baseline mdk10.1??

henner

P.S.: I used the grafical Installation programm for my 179 mb linux.

Edited by henner

I think 179MB is the smallest installation you can get out of Mandrake, though it sounds like the minimal option hasn't been worked on lately (when it was introduced, IIRC it was much smaller). I don't think Mandrake is the best base for such a project, being a general purpose distro; you might be better off looking at something like Damn Small Linux.

I think 179MB is the smallest installation you can get out of Mandrake, though it sounds like the minimal option hasn't been worked on lately (when it was introduced, IIRC it was much smaller). I don't think Mandrake is the best base for such a project, being a general purpose distro; you might be better off looking at something like Damn Small Linux.

is there no chance to make it more slim??

i have also thiked about Damn Small Linux or slax but am more familiar with mdk.

Is there an other distri which is small an uses urpmi?

henner

Edited by henner

i

Is there an other distri which is small an uses urpmi?

henner

if you're just liking the tool urpmi for getting applications and not urpmi in particular, most other linux distros have something like it. redhat, fedora core have "yum", others use apt-get (i think, it's been awhile).

...and no, there's no way to make Mandrake smaller without a considerable amount of work on your part. The minimal install basically works by defining the packages necessary for a functioning Mandrake system and installing them all plus their dependencies. To make it smaller you'd probably have to start rebuilding core packages not to pull in so many dependencies, and that's a pile of work.

Well, if you don't need to make it much smaller, you could start by chugging out modules you don't need... that could save you some space.

Also, why have urpmi on a live cd? You'd want things to work the way they are on the disc, right?

Just do the installation of all you need and get rid of urpmi and the related database(s).

... Also, why have urpmi on a live cd? You'd want things to work the way they are on the disc, right?

Just do the installation of all you need and get rid of urpmi and the related database(s).

I need urpmi to install all the packages which are not included in the baseline linux. What ever... MDK is not suitably for my project.

henner