MNF Just seems to stop working---reboot fixes problem

red

First, please firgive me if this is the wrong forum to post this issue, but since it deals with MNF, I thought it appropriate.

My MSF system, a simple p233, 64MB, 3GB drive, is periodically "shutting down". Now this is not physlically rebooting or powering down or resetting, it just altogether stops transferring any data across the network cards. The NIC link indicator lights, and the dtat transferindicator lights are always displaying normal activity, even when the problem occurs. A simple roboot seems to fix the issue.

Not being a linux type person (but learning along the way), I am unsure where to look for the proper logs to track this problem. I did notice a trend in the MNF web interface. That would be in the memusage graph. I notice the swap gradually increasing to about 32 MB at its peak. Oddly enough, the peak swap usage and the problem seem to coincide. Once rebooted the swap hovers very low, then gradually climbs again. This trend is seen in for each of the 3 times I have experienced the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

Thanks a bunch!!

RED

After thoroughly searching through the MNF docs, I would try enlarging the swap file (Since you don't say how large it is, consider twice your ram up to 512 Mb). If it is running to the max of the swap file, then there is a process at work somewhere. Does this happen when the computer is just idling and you are not doing anything? If you are not on the Internet 24/7 does it happen when you are off line. Try disconnecting any internal machines on the network. Check out the running processes and try killing any that appear to be causing it on each computer both on and off the network.

Counterspy

what type of NIC do you have?

my father had a Linksys NIC which was doing ICS (internet connection sharing) and would periodically stop transferring data, despite the fact that it appeared to be doing it correctly. we had to reboot the machine to fix it, everytime...

but he was using windows, so i don't know if it was the O/S or the card, i just know that disabling and re-enabling the card/connection from within windows wouldn't fix it. always need to go through a complete power cycle (reboot) to get it back up.

Thanks for the replies folks.

My "Linux swap" partition is 247 MB. Far larger twice teh memory size of 64MB and far smaller than the 32 MB point at which the problem is seen.

To be honest, after seeing this happen a few more times i have a few mor symptoms, so this may or may not be related and ther may actually not be a problem with the swap file anyway.

We play Asheron's Call, and we play Asheron's Call ALOT. at any goiven time ther are 3 accounts connected and playing, plus the other users surfing and playing Xbox Live and such.

Now, recently in my area, my cable provider had some hardware failures that I am assuming could have afected my system. Their problem was fixed on Thursday but had some minor difficulty on Friday morning. With no problems since except....

For no appearant reason, we just seem to lose connection to the AC server., but are able to reconnect immediately. No other internet capability seems to be affected when this happens.

As far as NIC well the internal NIC is a 3 com and the external is a D-Link(realtek 8139). I probably should change this for another 3com or Intel chip NIC, but it seems to be working just fine for now.

Thanks again folks!!

RED