badly in need of info on console command [SOLVED]

Guest Palomino

Guest Palomino

Hello mandrakers,

like any newbie, i start with this question, that you propably saw quite a few times, but i really didn't found the solution, even after 5 days of internet searching.

I'm from Holland, apologize for my english, but please tell me how to to quit the console in my KDE 3.2 environment.

Also i get stuck sometimes by a unknown key combination that brings me in the command line mode, and nothing can help me out to get back in the godsend GUI.

I hope the day will come soon for me too, to understand some common Linux handling. I even cannot switch between command modus and KDE/Gnome.

I read a lot about installing issues, configuring, but never saw 1 site with this item,

:wall: so plz. help me out here!

Palomino

[moved from Tips & Tricks by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Welcome.

If your in a consol window, just click the x in the top right hand corner.

If your running something in a consol and it won't stop, then either press the Q key, or press CTRL and c.

If your in a full blown consol and want to switch back to KDE then hold down the CTRL and ALT keys and press F7 to get back to the KDE gui.

Guest Palomino

SBTiger, That did the trick! Yessssss, thanks a lot here

because of some 'windows-like' keyboard combination that actually seemed to work like windows (ctrl-v for example), i thought most of all in Lunix is quite the same, but i see now it isn't.

I worked intensively with that boring MS thing my whole live, so my fingers are a little sticky on some ms key combinations.

When the screen turned dark there was no way out, but now i run console windows.

But what seems a little bit annoying is that i cannot see how many people are logged in, for example: is the root stil logged in in the background somewhere, i really don't know that, i did found out today that ctrl-alt with Fx makes the other sessions available, but can i get a list of users logged in?

If you can help me with this, would be great!

Jeroen

But what seems a little bit annoying is that i cannot see how many people are logged in, for example: is the root stil logged in in the background somewhere, i really don't know that, i did found out today that ctrl-alt with Fx makes the other sessions available, but can i get a list of users logged in?

commands to see who is logged in are: "w" and "who" which are interfaces for the users and sessions log files (/var/run/utmp /var/log/wtmp). Also if you want to see who was logged in your system in a given date use the command "last".

Other useful and related commands are "ps" and "top".

See the man pages of each command to see what are their usage and utility

HTH

Guest Palomino

Thank U 2, Mandrake Guru,

this seems to be the place to be, i was real busy these days, but from now, i hope to learn more over here, very usefull forum. i now learning linux command, i don want to be dependant of a gui for long, i suppose my dos knowledge is worthless, but that puppy dog has to grow old some day. I need a tiger to make my work done, so goodbye MS DamnOldSucker system.

I see instant messaging is also supported, the only thing that windows can do for me from now is be a gamers and video platform, and even that last thing can be done with linux.

I feel free with my pc for the first time in mylive, mandrake to the top!!!java script:emoticon(':headbang:')

Bye all

Marked the thread Solved - Artificial Intelligence