MDK 10.1rc1 x86-64

Guest Gilligan518

Guest Gilligan518

I am having a major problem installing Mandrake. I have an ASUS A8V-Deluxe WiFi MB and an ATI AIW 9800Pro video card.

When the install starts it hangs as soon as I hit enter. Screen shows the moving bar and then screen goes black. If I try hittting F1 (after rebooting) and do a text install(ugh) I get the start of loading and then it gets to this:

PCI: Via IRQ fixup for 0000:00:10.0, from 11 to 5 and the pauses. I can remove the CD and load it, the DVD drive lite comes on then goes off. Actually several of the line above.

Any suggestions?

TIA

hi there and welcome aboard. :)

a guess in the blind but once you have hit f1 for advanced options, at the bootprompt try with typing:

<lable the name of boot-entry> noapic nolapic acpi=off

e.g.

linux noapic nolapic acpi=off

i guess it has to do with your ati card (once again an ati-card problem?).

Edited by arctic

Guest Gilligan518

Well I tried your idea but :((. screen goes completely black. Also tried in text mode text noapic nolapic acpi=off At least I could read "install". Found MDK stops at Initializing Cryptographic API. When install stops it also turns off my F Lock lite on my Logitech MX800 cordless mouse recharger/base.

Why is it I have a really bad feeling about NOT being able to install MDK. UGH!!

Thanks for helping.

hi there and welcome aboard. :)

a guess in the blind but once you have hit f1 for advanced options, at the bootprompt try with typing:

<lable the name of boot-entry> noapic nolapic acpi=off

e.g.

linux noapic nolapic acpi=off

i guess it has to do with your ati card (once again an ati-card problem?).

text

just a thought... can you disable the acpi in your bios?

maybe it is also a dma problem. try to boot with disabled dma (in bios again)

if none of these work, i almost think it is a bloody kernel issue. :sad:

Guest Gilligan518

well I tried shutting off DMA but that's not an option on this mb. Have 4 different options for DMA but disable is not one. Tried turning off acpi but thats not an option either.

Guess I'm outta luck. Have to wait till a new kernal or newer release comes out.

java script:emoticon(':thanks:')

smilie

If it wern't for bad luck............... :) Just my luck.

just a thought... can you disable the acpi in your bios?

maybe it is also a dma problem. try to boot with disabled dma (in bios again)

if none of these work, i almost think it is a bloody kernel issue. :sad:

Guest moturner

Hi there - my first post and it won't help you unless you want to drop Mandrake, but I think I can say it is not an ATi problem, since I use NVidia cards out of preference.

I had been running WinXP and Mdk10.1 on an Athlon Barton 3200+ in an Asus A7N8X mobo with 1GB of Crucial RAM and an NVidia 6800GT and no problems with MDK at all. I have always preferred Mdk and have tried all the major distros regularly except Debian. In fact I have been using "not-Unix" since minix days.

About two weeks ago I upgraded (why? I ask myself :D ) to an Asus A8V Deluxe with an AMD 64 3500+ (Newcastle) and 1GB of Geil RAM. The transition went as smooth as silk and after re-registering XP I was up and running very quickly.

However I discovered immediately that Mandrake would not boot from Grub whereas Win XP worked fine. Now I find that I have exactly the same problems that you have. I downloaded and burned the 4-CD iso's for 10.0 AMD64 and my installation hangs at the same point as you, i.e. in text after "Initializing Cryptographic API". Question is, is it the Crypto API line that fails or is it the next thing afterwards and if so what is that? Can anyone out there enlighten us?

Before finding this board I had already tried all the ACPI options without success. Maybe it is an MDK kernel problem after all? I will keep watching and if I find a solution will post here.

Now for the getout: I take "Linux Format" magazine and on the latest issue the DVD is a Live Eval version of SUSE 9.2. It works beautifully, even though it is not 64-bit. I will give Mandrake a couple of weeks then I will have to switch to Suse. I don't want to as I am a Silver member of Mandrake Club and have invested heavily in Mandrake, but the Suse looked lovely and I need to be able to USE linux.

Edited by moturner

Guest moturner

Thanks for that, Ric - it certainly SEEMED to work. Prior to turning off legacy USB in the BIOS I never got into the installation at all. With your fix I appear to get into it and almost complete it but the installation crashes in post-install.

When I look at the log I can see there is an error right at the beginning of the install process to do with /usr/bin/perl/-install/gtk2.pm then it runs through all the package selection and the install and then fails finally and terminally with a similar error message about something like not being able to find fixed font 12 in /usr/.../gtk2 adding "line 728" at the end. This error message appears twice. Then terminates and tells me I can reboot the system. Since I never got to setting up a boot loader I just get Windows XP for my pains.

I can't tell if the error is in the installation of perl or in the installation script itself. can anyone assist? I will try a really stripped down install to see if that works.....

Mike

Guest moturner

This gets wierder. The 10.0 amd64 installation failed at the end of the install. I was then able to do an UPDATE, which completed successfully, allowing me to set up linux and then add root password and a user account. I then noticed that my two XP partitions were absent and were not mountable. fdisk showed them to be of type 263 (what the hell is that?). After this the computer would fail to boot.

To cut a long story short, I zeroed the BIOS. It then rebooted into the BIOS for me and I re-enabled the legacy USB. Now XP works perfectly but I do not have linux. I really am on the verge of going with Suze 9.2, which seems to understand everything about my Asus A8V Deluxe and my AMD64 CPU.

Blech!

Mike

Edited by moturner

10.0 for AMD64 was rolled quite a while back now and it was MDK's first cut at it (they didn't have a lot of AMD64 machines around to try it with either). Before you give up I'd suggest trying 10.1 OE for AMD64. It's on mirrors now so you could try an FTP install (though apparently the hdlists are broken, which would make that impossible :<) or according to Warly free ISOs will be released shortly. If you really need it now, though, just go with SuSE - it's a fine distribution, by all accounts. What works is good. :)