what went wrong by changing "/etc/X11/fs/config"?

jagibbs

I've fixed the problem already :cheesy: , but I'm wondering what the heck actually happened.

While trying to resolve some font issues, I rearranged the order of the font directories in my "/etc/X11/fs/config" file. Upon rebooting it got all the way to the point where the KDE GUI would normally appear and finish loading, but instead the screen fickered and it brought up the login prompt instead. Thankfully, I had written down the original font paths for the config file and was able to edit and resave the config file using "vim". After replacing the font paths to the original configuration it started normally.

Does this really have that much of an affect on starting the KDE environment??? I'm still pretty new to linux.

Jason

ok. thanks. next time I'll have to look at the log file when it happens. I think it is rewritten each time I boot. maybe if I'm curious I'll do it again with the same reordering just to see if I can replicate it.

I'm looking at what I had changed it to...I may have left out one of the paths called "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc:unscaled" Would this have caused the problem? Guess it's no big deal since I know I can fix it if it happens again.