Firewall and Samba

Guest BlackWolf

Guest BlackWolf

Hi,

I'm using Mandrake 10.1 Community.

I have a network composed of one WinXP Pro box and a Linux MDK Box.

I have a single ethernet card on the Linux Box and the WinXP box also as a single ethernet card. Both box are connected through a switcher which is connected to an ADSL modem. Both box share the same modem through ethernet.

Samba is running on the Linux Box and the shares are working even if sometimes I don't see the full network in Linneigborhood or in Explorer.

I worked for a while without any firewall so I could setup the network without running into troubles caused by the firewall.

I now want to configure the firewall.

So I went to MCC and setup the Firewall to refuse everything except Samba CUPS and ping. It didn't accept the setting. I tried again with only exception for CUPS and ping and this time it worked. Is there a problem with the samba option in MCC Firewall?

With this setting, the firewall prevent access to my Linux Box from the WinXP box.

I need to let pass access from the samba network. How can I do that?

Even if the setting should let ping pass, it prevent it from the WinXP Box.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Guest BlackWolf

Fssy,

I tried to set 139/tcp 139/udp 445/tcp 445/udp without enabling samba option in the MCC firewall. And when I check it back, the samba option is enabled.

After this, I'm not seen by the WinXP box but I can see it. I cannot either access internet (at least reply to your post). My understanding of the firewall is that I should be able to see the internet. It should work in one-way not both.

I tried also to add some option like CUPS and ping in the MCC Firewall but it didn't worked. I'm still not able to ping the Linux box from the WinXP box.

I had to remove the samba check mark, the advance setting and check no firewall to be able to gain back access to internet and samba network.

Anyone understand what's happening?

Guest BlackWolf

Update...

I checked the shorewall documentation and saw the rules for the firewall should be applied to ppp0. So I tried to apply them to ppp+ in the MCC firewall setting.

I set 139/tcp 139/udp 445/tcp 445/udp in the advanced options of the firewall and applied them to ppp+.

At first sign nothing was working. But after a minute, the WinXP box was able to access the Linux box share and the printer manager was seeing the shared printer of the Linux box. But I cannot ping the Linux box from the WinXP box.

When I went back into the MCC firewall setting, I see the samba option enabled and the advance setting shows only 445/udp and 445/tcp.

What happened to 139?

Is there an easy way to let the ping pass from the WinXP box?

I need it to proof that the Linux box is accessible from the WinXP box since most of the time Explorer is not able to see the full network, but that's another topic still not resolved unfortunately.

I hope someone can shade some light on this.

Thanks