Mandrake 10.1 64 bit questions

Guest ViriiGuy

Guest ViriiGuy

Hmmm ok where to start.....

I have an Emachines m6805 laptop with the AMD 64 CPU.

I recently purchased a copy of Mandrake 10.1 PowerPack+. I did not at the time realize that there was a version of 10.1 specifically for the 64 bit cpu's.

So Here is my question, If I download and install the free 64 bit version of 10.1 can I then use my powerpack+ DVD to install the software from it and have it compile in 64bit mode? Or am I going to have to buy 10.1 powerpack+ for the 64?

Also does anyone know of any problems I will have with t he m6805 during install and use?

I don't suppose I could install 10.1 powerpack+ Then update the install fully with the 64 freebie download could I??

Just a thought.

Thank you,

Randy

• 2 weeks later...
So Here is my question, If I download and install the free 64 bit version of 10.1 can I then use my powerpack+ DVD to install the software from it and have it compile in 64bit mode? Or am I going to have to buy 10.1 powerpack+ for the 64?

I've tested the AMD 64 version of mandrake 10.1.

You won't be able to download the iso files of mandrake 10.1 official, only the release candidate's. You may have to build your own CDs from the ftp trees if you want the community version.

You can install software from the i586 version, and/or compile them for your 64 bits box.

The problems are that some libraries and software are missing, there is no available flash plugins and no ATI drivers for 64 bit cpu's.

I don't suppose I could install 10.1 powerpack+ Then update the install fully with the 64 freebie download could I??

i'm not sure but i think it's possible.

I believe the web browsers in MDK 10.1 AMD64 are compiled 32-bit so you can use 32-bit plugins, aren't they?

yes you're right, i've forgotten this :P . flash plugin works if you have a 32-bit browser. But it'll be better when the flash plugin will be 64-bit compiled. Java already exists and other video and audio plugins exist too.