can't ping across network

eroica

:help: hello,

I've been trying to setup samba between my mandrake 9.1 laptop and my windows 98 box without success. I've started trouble shooting and the first thing i have to do is be able to ping between the two thru my linksys wireless router. i can ping the windows machine thru the router from the linux laptop no problem. my problem is i cant ping the linux laptop from windows. i can ping the router no problem from the windows box. I thought maybe shorewall was the culprit because i havent adjusted any rules for pinging. But even shutting down the shorewall service hasnt helped. I would appreciate any suggestions to get my two machines talking. I assume because i can ping one way that i dont have a hardware issue but something to do with a setting or setting up linux box to reply to icmp requests.

thanx,

alan

p.s.- I have router connected to my adsl modem and both machines setup for dhcp from the linksys router...

Can you ping yourself from the linux machine?

Does your linksys router support pinging in the admin screen? (the linksys router I have does) Can you ping your linux box from the router? If yes try using a live linux cd to boot your windows and ping your linux machine...

If no check your /etc/hosts.deny (are you running portsentry? )

If only windows can't ping it

Are you using a firewall in windows? zonealarm, winxp built-in firewall thingy? turn it off.

The next step after this would be to use ethereal to sniff the network if you still cannot ping the linux box...

yes i can ping myself on the linux machine. in fact i can ping the windows98 box from the linux machine. its in the other direction trying to ping linux box from windows98 i cant ping. i can ping router from win98 box too. i shut off both zonealarm and shorewall while trying to do this. i will adjust shorewall rules to let in icmp requests and see what happens. i'm not too familiair w/ethereal but i will install as next step in troubleshooting.

thanx,

alan

yeah that did it. by putting in accepting icmp request in Shorewall i can now ping linux box from my win98 box. but i still cant see either box using shares. do u have any ideas on how to setup Shorewall to pass smb requests. Incidently i had ethereal running and i see browser requests announcing the windows 98 share on the wire.

alan