Kernel Panic booting linux-smp

Tymestream

I have searched and found many issues dealing with kernel panic, but nothing that quite answers my question. If there is an appropriate thread please forward link.

I tried to do a drive duplication from hda to sda, which worked fine. Upon booting up the sda drive and loading the linux-smp kernel I get a Kernel panic - INIT not found error. (Sorry I did not write correct syntax down) At first I thought it was a problem with the drive duplication but after a fresh install - same problem. The non-smp kernel boots fine and so does the failsafe. I have checked lilo.conf and all is as it should be for my setup.

Questions:

1. Are there issues with booting off an sda drive as apposed to hda drive?

2. Should I put the boot loader in MBR or root partition - Does this matter?

3. Why does this always happen to me :wall:

As always, thanks in advance.

If you are booting from /dev/sda, then you need to edit two files: /etc/fstab and /boot prior to the reboot!! B) So, now you need to get your hands on a portable linux, like Mandrake Move, PLinuxOS or MEPIS, and boot with that in order to perform the edits. The boot kernel must match its new location, as well as all of the mountable partitions.