Slow StarOffice 7

payasam

good question. i never found an answer to that question but i noticed that staroffice/openoffice loads a lot faster on e.g. gentoo, slackware, yoper or ubuntu than in mandrake...

Edited by arctic

well, for a person whose one half is spanish, it is very very cold... just take a bath. ;) and its rainiy over here. i do miss the sun and the warm breeze of air. :)

Edited by arctic

Arctic: Spain -- hah. You want to be roasted, come to India in May. Or dive into a stream and get boiled. We haven't enough oil to fry you, sorry.

Arthur: It's always possible, with a bit of care, to make the best of a bad job. For example, for decades I rode motorcycles up to twenty-five years old and never felt handicapped because I knew their insides and kept them in shape. If we are to be honest, Windows is not such a terribly bad job; besides, there are good people out there who work hard to keep out the nasties you've listed.

Spinynorman: If the post turns out to be relevant, I thank you in advance. If it should be utterly useless, I'm terribly sorry - I still have to thank you. These cookies insist on crumbling in their own way, you see. [EDIT] It should be relevant, assuming SO has the same sort of cache that OO does. Only way to find out is to find out. But making the rebuilt cache file read only will cause trouble if founts are added later, won't it?

Edited by payasam

Thanks, John. We hope to please. If in the process we get others to solve our problems for us, so much the better. Something like a court jester cracking a silly joke for the king and being rewarded with a sack full of gold.

Arctic: Spain -- hah. You want to be roasted, come to India in May. Or dive into a stream and get boiled. We haven't enough oil to fry you, sorry.

don't worry. you don't need to fry me in hot oil as i am not french and i believe that spanish fries would taste awful. :P

Disloyal to your own potatoes (or half-potatoes), Arctic? Shame on you.

Spinynorman: There was a pspfontcache file. I made a copy, then deleted it, started SO, quit SO - and it was back, 5,139 lines long. I have too many type-faces in this box although I don't need more than a dozen or so families. I just tried to delete some but the fo(u)nt management in 10.0 is awful.

Spinynorman: There was a pspfontcache file. I made a copy, then deleted it, started SO, quit SO - and it was back, 5,139 lines long. I have too many type-faces in this box although I don't need more than a dozen or so families. I just tried to delete some but the fo(u)nt management in 10.0 is awful.

I've found some more information here. This suggests creating an empty read-only file in the user/psprint directory of a user installation and/or in the share/psprint directory, as required:

rm pspfontcache
touch pspfontcache
chmod 444 pspfontcache

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks, Spinynorman. Whether or not this helps solve my immediate problem, it certainly will teach me something about touch and chmod. What, I wonder, is the function of this pspfontcache fellow anyway? Just to be a damn nuisance?