interesting ipod issues [SOLVED]

imwithstupid

I've been trying for the past week to get my new ipod (G4) to work with linux.

Here is what i've done so far:

-clean install of 10.1

-custom kernel compile without the EFI option so the ipod will not refuse to mount

-nvidia 6111 driver install...done with the workaround

-screwed up the ipod (with partial downloads to the ipod) and had to both reset it and re-initialize the ipod by installing it on a windows computer agian.

Right now i can:

-mount and read all the files off the ipod both as root and user

-eject it cleanly

However, i can't seem to write files to the ipod using ephpod or gtkpod. Both programs seem to work fine except when it comes to sending files to the ipod. When i do that it looks like it happens really fast and i get no error msgs. However, no songs are written to the ipod. I think it might be a permissions thing and i've looked into that quite a bit but now i'm thinking its a permissions thing that's screwed up with PAM. PAM seems to want to restric me using some glx driver files and resets these premissions/restrictions when i restart...could it be doing these things to the ipod directory permissions?

my fstab entry looks like this:

/dev/sda2 /mnt/ipod vfat umask=0,user,noauto,exec 0 0

/dev/sda1 /mnt/removable auto umask=0,user,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,kudzu,codepage=850,noauto,exec,users 0 0 none /proc proc defaults 0 0

Any ideas would be helpful...also what PAM config files would you like to see to help with that because i have no clue about PAM at all (I actually did a search and there is nothing about PAM on this board at all)

Edited by imwithstupid

I had similar problems, the ipod is indeed tricky. Here is how I got the best performance:

- Firstly, I initialised the ipod on a mac, so that the pod received a HSF+ (apple) filesystem.

- Next, I compiled support for HSF filesystems into my kernel (not sure if Mandrake has this in by default).

That worked nicely.

However, if you are bent on using the PC filesystem on the pod, have you tried syncing it as root? Also, in gtkpod, you must first do 'create ipod directories' before you can transfer songs.

Keep posting, we'll get this sorted out.

SOLVED...there is a gtkpod glitch. Basically if I load some songs and hit sync gtkpod looks like its syncing them rediculously fast, but its not. So, I have to wait a long time to make sure they are all on...or i can guess based on touching the ipod and seeing if it is reading/writting to the harddrive.